Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 2 months ago

If your Jewish friend strongly urged you to support the State of Israel in the name of your friendship, what should you say?

And they further use religious reasons as further motive for support?

• Lili

I know a large number of Jews and am married to one. No Jew I've ever met would make such a lunatic demand.  In fact, a great many American Jews seriously dislike Israel's policies towards the Palestinians.

My husband has relatives in Israel. Even THEY wouldn't demand this. They can't stand Netanyahu or Likud.

Ask him for the reasons and by what means he wants you to help. Don't accept what the media says about Israel but do a deep analysis of the state of Israel from before it was a state to the present day. You will find it is a very complicated situation which has no easy solutions, a fact that the media seems to ignore. For one thing the leaders of both parties in for the Palestinians are dictators that is Hamas and the Palestinian authority were originally voted into power but neither has had an election since which defines them as dictators. The media in the US wants Israel to make a treaty with these two dictators who rarely have the benefit of their own people in mind and often kill their own people. Now the current leader of Israel, Netanyahu is in lots of legal trouble so he is not in a strong position to lead either and many Israelis are calling for his resignation so at present the best you can do is support the people of Israel not the current government or the governments of Palestine either. Most of the people on both sides want peace and are good people so you can feel good supporting Israel and the Palestinian people who can get along when their governments do not interfere as has actually happened during the Corona crisis when some were stuck living together and became friends. So after you have thoroughly done the research that i suggested which is available in videos and news reports and historical sites and is very interesting not boring at all you should have no trouble supporting Israel and the cause of peace done properly.  

• F

I don’t particularly support Israel, but if I had to choose between them and the poison Islamic nations surrounding them, they’d get my vote.

Support Israel, of course!  If you go there there are massive demonstrations right now against Benjamin Netanyahu.  Out and out fear like here in the United States of Israelis loosing their Democracy to another Autocrat (Ben!)  The picture becomes more clear by the incident and misleading tendencies displayed.  Concern is great!  People want Democracy, not Autocrats.

That would be dumb of them. Btw the Earth is huge and has enough room for everyone. Even an Island is a better choice than petty squabbles.

"Shabbat shallom, mishpoha!"..That`s what you should say.

• Rick

I already do ..............................

I wouldn't have a Jewish friend so this scenario wouldn't apply to me.

If I had a Jewish friend, I would say they were out of order to test a friendship in that way.  They are the current occupiers of the land their state controls and are using ancient religious historical and religious history as a justification for continuing to do so.  Of course they are not the only country in the world which has oppressed and driven out the indigenous people, and they certainly will not be the last. Hypocrisy stinks, so it is wise to keep a lid on it.

To seperate Iran from the Ayatollah would destroy it as the Islamic state. Obviously you can't support Israel and not be involved in politics. 

It's ok for palest-whine-stinians to support Hamas and Hezbollah but not ok for Israelis to have an army, a government and Judaism ruling in the country. 

The truth is I don't make friends with anti Israel/zionist people. Those people I don't make friends with.

Source(s): Orthodox Jew