IIIII
Lv 5
IIIII asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Why did the Italians suck so much in WWII?

They had over a hundred thousand troops against the British in Egypt, who had a fatigued force of only 30,000. And yet the Italian force was completely wiped out, so badly that it convinced Spain to not even join. What made them so bad at war? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Based on many sources (books, articles, tv programs etc.) that I have read/watched over the years, Italian military, at the time, had inferior  weapons (comparing to the Allies), lack of supplies, and had little military industry. Additionally, many of its military commanders were promoted to their positions based on loyalty to the fascist regime, instead of expertise and/or experience.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They were creating the Mafia in Saxon USA

• 1 month ago

Because Italy, within it's own ranks....had dissenters, and a 5th column......known as Partisans.  The Partigiani,  in Italian. 

These were Italians,  perhaps conscripted to fight for Mussolini....but in reality were fighting  against him, and against the Nazi Oppression. 

They were actually fighting for a FREE Italia ,  away from both Mussolini and Hitler. 

There is actually a great movie,  one of the few I have seen,  that showed the contribution of the Partigiani. .......called   The Miracle at St. Anna. 

Aside from that........just many who were drafted,  simply had no desire to fight, and just wanted to live in Peace...........but got dragged into it all and forced to fight...........but simply had zero desire to fight and kill. 

It was just inherently against their entire way of life.  Not only that......but an extremely CATHOLIC country,  most faithful to the POPE, and killing is just wrong. 

• 1 month ago

It was mostly their leader, Mussolini who wanted to fight.  Not many of the people did.  In fact, with him gone, the Italians actually changed sides.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Actually, I think there were Italian units with good morale and so on. I don't go in for the notion that they were all inept cowards. However, it should have been obvious to Mussolini that lack of success in pre-war colonial conflicts should have told him there were fundamental problems. If you cannot crush Haille Selassie, you are going suck against FDR and Churchill. 

Obviously the big problem was leadership. On paper, the Italian navy was formidable. Yes, the officers got promotion by way of showing their personal loyalty to Mussolini. The Italian officers made sure they ate well, well behind the front lines. I think this is something that is more demoralizing than the fact their kit was not great. After all, Selassie's men obviously did not have great kit.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They lacked equipment, and preparation, and were dragged into a war they didn't want, by Mussolini.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Italians are More Lovers than warmongers they never wanted to be in WW2

• 1 month ago

You could write books about this and people have.  A huge factor was geography.  The Alps protect Italy but also hem them in.  They expended major resources just trying to breach the mountains.

• 1 month ago

U can't be the Brits sunshine 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They formed the fascists and joined hitler.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.