Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

My mother got the coronavirus ?

2 months ago and recovered from it. Since she has recovered she has been hard of hearing. I have to repeat myself several times for her to hear what I am saying. Could the coronavirus have cause her hearing to be damaged?

This is not a known side effect of Covid 19.  Many people who have flu like symptoms are first being assumed to having C19 but later are released because they had a different ailment.  I pay attention to the Covid DEATH NUMBERS...not total case admissions-

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

those recovered cases never really had it...as most of the tests are JUNK...results when it takes 2 weeks to get the results back.  Totally useless.  (A known symptom is the loss of taste to all foods.)

Maybe.  They're still figuring out all that covid can do to a person.  The classic symptoms are like a flu: fever, coughing, damage to your lungs.  But there are reports of people who are suffering other symptoms.  Some people have apparently suffered brain damage from it.  Your mother may have had some kind of damage to her ears, or even to the part of the brain responsible for hearing. 

• Dick

20% of corona virus patients have long term or permanent organ damage. Hearing loss isn't uncommon.

I am so sorry...  Not a soul in my city got it......... I not lost anyone over it.....  Army wise..  I lost more than care.......

• Edna

Your mother had a mild case of corona virus 2 months ago,  and now she's recovered. I've never heard that a case of corona virus can impact someone's hearing. Your mother's difficulty hearing could be caused because her sinus cavities are still somewhat "stopped up". If her hearing doesn't improve shortly, she needs to see an ENT and have her hearing checked out.

If corona virus affected hearing, there would be a LOT of people walking around half-deaf, because doctors in the U.S. have been treating several cases of corona virus every year for at least the last 80 years.

Corona virus isn't a "new" disease - not by any means. It's been making its rounds every year, ever since the days of Ancient Egypt.  

I think so, yes........................

• .

We aren't doctors so can't say what may have caused her hearing impairment. That's a good question for her physician. It is true that some people who live through C19 are left with various short or long term health issues.

.

Your question belongs in Health>Diseases & Conditions>Infectious Diseases as it's currently in Family & Relationships>Marriage & Divorce and not applicable to this subcategory (and thus decreases your chances of getting many useful answers).

Moving your question can be done by clicking Edit (pencil icon for mobile)>Edit category just beneath your question, then selecting the category that's appropriate for the topic.

• David

Well, it is a severe sinus infection...and that can definitely damage the ears.  It's possible she still has some congestion in the ears.  Time to see an ENT to get the ears looked at.

Yes, see: Hearing Loss: An Odd Covid-19 Symptom We Overlooked - https://medium.com/microbial-instincts/hearing-los...

It’s one of the possible side effects but there’s not enough cases to confirm that it is. A really small study says that some people had a loss of hearing after getting covid.