In the movie blazing saddles slim pickens character had a handcar pulled out of quicksand and said it's cost 400.00,would this be accurate?

What i'm asking is at the time this movie takes place,would a railroad handcar have cost $400.00?This price doesn't sound accurate for this kind of item.

I really do not know the answer, but I did find the following information.

According to the trivia page for Blazing Saddles on IMDB:

The $400 handcart would be worth $9006.44 in 2019.

According to someone who makes and sells them today:

What does it cost to obtain one of my handcars? My handcars range between $13,800 and $16,000 depending upon options ordered.

Based on those two statements, coupled with the fact that today's price is for a custom produced product instead of mass produced one, I think $400 would probably be a little high, but not totally unreasonable.

I don't know where one could look that up, but $400 seems pretty plausible.  Remember inflation.  Prior to the advent of the Federal Reserve in 1913, and ESPECIALLY the closing of the gold exchange standard by Nixon in 1972-ish, money generally tended to keep it's value over the long term.  So $1 could buy a lot more than it can now.  $400 means that hand cart was REALLY expensive.  About $10,000 or more in today's money.  

That's how much the fed has devalued our money.  A hidden tax on the public to pay for politician's profligate spending.