Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 2 months ago

How do I keep my sanity in today's heavily polarized environment?

I'm aware there's a ton of history and people are passionate about their opinion and politics, but how does someone like me avoid those topics and not be influenced by either of them? Is it wrong for me to want to be ignorant to avoid confrontation? Would I be considered irresponsible for not participating in those topics and discussions? Help please! 

Thanks Mark, your answer makes a lot of sense to me 🤗

Be selective in what you read and who you listen to because, despite yourself, you are swayed into believing in something or someone you would be better off avoiding. I am referring to toxic views and opinions, which serve to harm others.

• Bobo

Because there are factions that are firmly entrenched on both sides being passionate about politics--you can rest assured that neither will overcome the other.  It is an ongoing issue that will play out until the end of time.  The bottom line is that the rest of us can do nothing about it and we should just let them battle each other while sitting on the sidelines in amusement.    

• Mark

You can understand that the Media and social media are responsible for showing politics 24/7. It used to be a boring topic to talk about except during elections every few years. There was only the one kid in class or at work who talked about it all the time but you can't escape it when actors and athletes and even in sports have to chime in. To me, it's almost like gossiping. 

So, if you're in school, study and if you work, work. When you come home, relax. That's about all we can do.