What is your favorite pasta recipe?

Tortelli di zucca con burro e salvia: https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/classic-...

Cajun chicken and shrimp with white sauce and bow tie pasta

to my mom hand made pasta i loved

• 🦋

Lasagna with extra cheese and meat

Macaroni, celery, onions, mayonaise and the KEY ingredient---SPAM.  Made it yesterday.  It is AWESOME

• WOOWHO

my grandma's its  not famous

• polly

Home made potato gnocchi.

They're so versatile & any sauce compliments them

I have a lasagne that I’ve been making for years.  I thought I’d tweaked it to perfection til I made another tweak this summer by exchanging the pasta for very thin slices of large zucchini, cut into crescents on a mandolin.  The first one of these I made when a fellow gardener at the community garden lost control of a few zucchini and gave them to me, I’d been thinking about doing it with zucchini for a while.  It was so splendid I ate it for literally four meals in a row.  Dinner, then breakfast, then dinner, then breakfast.  Then I immediately made another one.

Ingredients:

A jar of any good quality jarred marinara sauce.  Just a simple one.  

I like Newmans Own

A package of New York Sausage Companies hot italian sausage.  

You can get the ones in casings and remove the casings, it’s a little easier to just get the sausage roll I think they are about 8 oz.  

16 oz whole mushrooms, i like crimini, carefully cleaned with the stems cut.

2-3 lbs of baby spinach.  Don’t worry that it looks like a lot, it will cook way down.

Enough largish zucchini to cut about four or five cups of almost paper thin slices.  

I would not try this recipe without a mandolin.  I cut the zuchini on the thinnest setting, if it’s thicker than that it won’t cook through.  The large zucchini have a pithy center and the seeds are really big.  I’ve seen folks cut them like big flat noodles but I don’t want to eat the seeds and pith.

Cheese.   I like to use a combination of Trader Joe’s Quattro Fromaggio and shredded full fat mozzarella.  If I’ve got other “pizza type” cheeses in the fridge I may throw in some of those.

Ricotta if you like - I’ve actually left the ricotta out of the last couple I made and didn’t miss it.  You can also use cottage cheese, which changes the appearance some because of the curds.

Cook the sausage over medium heat in a heavy bottom skillet while breaking up with a wooden spoon, you want the pieces fairy small, until cooked through and browned.  Go for getting some nice caramelly color on the pieces.  Watch the heat, you want this to be sizzling but not smoking and popping.  You want a nice layer of Carmel colored “fond” to build up in the pan but don’t let it get dark or burned or it will be bitter. 

Once the sausage is fully cooked remove it to a folded flat paper grocery bag Or paper towels to drain and pour all but two tablespoons of the fat into a bowl, reserve that fat.  

Add the whole mushrooms to the fat and fond in the skillet over medium heat and cook til tender, turning occasionally.  As the mushrooms release their fluid it will dissolve the “fond” which will be absorbed by the mushrooms.  If the mushrooms aren’t releasing fluid you can add a little wine, red or white, to dissolve the fond, but I don’t typically have to do that.  When cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool.

While the mushrooms are cooking wash and drain the spinach and then cook it down in the water clinging to the leaves until it is fully cooked and about 1/6 of the original volume of plant matter.  If you like, you can use a tablespoon or two of butter or the sausage fat in the spinach pot before adding the spinach. When cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool.

Take your large zucchini, cut off both ends and then sliced lengthwise down the middle.  With a spoon, scrape out the pith and seeds and toss in the compost, But the two halves back together then with your mandolin set on the thinnest setting (using the holder or even better, a cut resistant glove) slice the entire thing into almost paper thin crescents.  My mandolin straddles a cutting board so the slices end up in a big pile.  

Once the meat and mushrooms have cooled I lay them out on a cutting board and run my knife through them until they are small and uniform pieces about 1/4 - 1/3 inch.  These can be mixed or kept seperate, I usually mix them.

Run your knife through the cooked spinach so it’s a nice, spreadable consistancy.

Once everything is prepped, get out your pyrex baking dish (or dishes, I’ve taken to making LOTS of these at a time when I do it by doubling or tripling the recipe).

Layer into the pans like regular lasagne, starting with about a half or so cup of sauce and then a layer of zucchini (Just sort of spread them out, they will be overlapping and a few paper thin layers thick) then the meat and mushrooms, then the ricotta, then the spinach, then the other cheeses.  I try to have at least two layers, preferably three, of everything and have it topped with cheese.  If I am showing off I’ll put ricotta into a frosting bag (or a freezer ziplock with a tiny hole cut in one corner) and pipe a design all over the top right before it goes into the oven.

Slip into a preheated oven at 350 and cook for about 45 minutes until the top is well browned and It’s bubbly around the edges.  Try to not fill your dish all the way up to the very top or this will make a mess in your stove.  Putting a cookie sheet under the baking dish can save you a mess.

Let stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it.

This keeps well in the fridge for a few days.  It is wonderful for making ahead, I fully cook mine, then reheat til just heated through before serving.  It also freezes very well.

If you would rather use noodles, I use whole wheat lasagne noodles cooked to the packages specifications.  You can also do both noodles and zuchini.  Or add other vegetables, I typically pre cook any vege that is not in small enough pieces to cook through during the heating.

I will often make this over two evenings, cooking the sausage and mushrooms and even the spinach the night before I put it together. 

And if you don’t want to bother with layers, use whole wheat rotelle or penne instead of lasagne noodles, toss everything in a big mixing bowl, turn out into a casserole dish or baking dish, top with a final layer of cheese and cook til browned and bubbling.

My other favorite pasta is ravioli, made from scratch.  I’ve made ravioli many many times but you need a friend to help with the pasta part.

Spaghetti Aglio E Olio (Midnight Spaghetti).

Simple pasta is kind of like cooking an egg.   It's simple, but it has to be done properly.   And no parmesan from Wisconsin, please.   Proper Parmigiano-Reggiano makes this dish. 

I like classic spaghetti with meatballs.

• denise

Lasagne, I cant give you a recipe / method because  I change it up many times to fit what I have in the fridge / larder.