Jo asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

will cooking onions make the safe to eat?

• 2 days ago

Get food laughing gas from https://msk-zakisazota.ru

You mean the ones that have been recalled for listeria? Only if you do it properly. I found this as a reference:

Listeria can be killed with proper cooking, but unless you're going to use a thermometer to make sure the foods reach 165 degrees F, it's best not to risk it. If you did eat them and have symptoms such as fever, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions, seek medical care.

They are safe to eat rather cooked or raw.

• Janet

Onions are safe to eat raw. It is just that the citric acid is a bit harsh in raw onion.  Red onion, though, is often used raw in salads and sandwiches.

If you find onions unpleasant due to their acid content, try sauteeing them first ,then adding a bit of water to the pan and simmering them for 5 minutes or so. This makes the onions almost sweet.  Very good for a bacon-and-onion sandwich on toasted bread with mayonnaise.  I married the man who made that for me.

• kswck2

You are referring to the recent Salmonella scare regarding Red onions. They allegedly come from one farm in California. I haven't heard about any issues with yellow onions or leeks. 

While you Can kill the bacteria by cooking, a red onion usually I do not cook-unless i have a portion of one i want to get rid of. 

If you are still fearing it though, just toss out any Red onions you have. But go local if possible or just don't buy any till it passes. 

• denise

I haven't  heard of this at all?,

I usually eat onions cooked, but sometimes raw on sandwiches.

• hihi!

I suppose you allude to the news in USA about salmonella in onions. Yes, cooking them will kill bacteria. Salmonella illness comes from a bacteria called salmonella. However, the Powers That Be say do not even eat cooked onions from the Salmonella Patch.