Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Should we become engaged before moving to my parents' home?

We just moved into our new place but my BF is already talking about moving into my parents' place next year (so that we can save more money). Should we at least become engaged before doing that? It's funny that he can talk about where to live next year but says it is too early to talk about engagement/marriage. He does treat me nice though?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Too many red flags. He won’t talk of marriage but wants to move in with your parents? Don’t involve your parents with this guy. He’s a free loader that your parents shouldn’t be supporting.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

thats up to you

• 2 months ago

YOU SAY:  "It's funny that he can talk about where to live next year but says it is too early to talk about engagement/marriage."

I SAY: it is funny that you  move in with your boyfriend without engagement or marriage plans, but you think you should "at least become engaged" before moving into your mommy and daddy's house. That is funny and laughable.

NEWS FLASH:  Girl, the reason people get engaged is to be planning a wedding.

He likes playing house, that is very very clear. Shocking that it's not clear to you.

Get engaged when you decide to actually begin making wedding plans.

Being engaged is not a prerequisite to moving to your mom and dad's house with your boyfriend.

• 2 months ago

The fact that your boyfriend says it's too early to talk of engagement or marriage and the fact that you just say that he treats you nice rather than you love each other, should tell you NOT to get engaged.

Try living together for 18 months and then see how you feel...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Have discussions with both your boyfriend and parents. You should definitely get married beforehand

• 2 months ago

Huh?  You seem to be mixing up different things.  

1. If you want to get married and your boyfriend is reluctant, your best option is to stop living with him. Getting "engaged" with no wedding date in mind is like saying your going on a diet but aren't following a plan and have no goal.2. Many couples choose to live together out of love, financial need, and or convenience.  It doesn't mean they are destined for marriage.  If you can't afford to live on your own, you really aren't in a position to get married. 

3. If your parents won't let you live with them unless you are married, then that is a discussion to have with your parents and you boyfriend. 

4. Your boyfriend has not reason to get engaged or marry you if he can live with your parents, have sex, and get access to your money.  The reason people get married is because they decide to be committed to one another for the rest of their lives (at least at the time) and to share their lives.  If you are going to play house together, he has all that with any need for commitment. 

• 2 months ago

Nothing to do with "Etiquette" and everything to do with "Family and Relationships".

Why not move your question there? Everybody can move their own questions as often as they like.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

i would worry more about why your boyfriend wants to move in with your mommy and daddy after just moving into a new place.  If he really wanted to save money, why did you move to begin with?  You should've stayed where you were.  Tell him "no" you're not moving again.

• 2 months ago

tell him that he either sets a date or no parents house

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

An engagement is only supposed to be the 12 months prior to the wedding during which you're planning the wedding. Being engaged for years and years is considered kind of trashy. If you can't even afford your own place you're definitely not ready to be getting married. So given the uncertainty of life right now (and the fact that living with your parents might cause you to break up) I wouldn't feel the need to do that right now. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.