Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Why didn’t you become an NFL player?

Why would you want to work a regular job when you can be a pro athlete 

Who said i didn't?

I was too skinny to play as a kid. Better suited for swimming and basketball.  

Right... because it's that easy to go pro. It takes hard work! Probably harder work than a 9 to 5. It does payoff, but a tiny fraction survive.

• Zapata

I'm too old, too slow, too weak, too short, too fat and too uncoordinated. I can't run, jump, hit, block, throw, kick or catch. So, yeah, you'd have thought at least the Cleveland Browns would be interested in me....but still nothing. If they don't phone by next week, I'm gonna be announcing my retirement from the sport. Or maybe try the CFL.

Im not big enough so the skill set never was worked on either.

Too small to play guard, fullback, or linebacker.  Too slow to play RB or safety.   Much too short or small for other positions.

• David

I wanted to be a baseball player, thought I was the next Don Drysdale.  Eventually you gotta find a way to pay the bills.

not athletic enough nor have size speed needed for the job.

• Mike W

Wasn't big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to play professional football.  

I could NEVER have been an NFL player.  

First of all, at 5'10", I would be undersized for everything except RB, CB, and maybe WR.  Secondly, I don't have the pain threshold.  I don't push through pain when exercising, and the physically beating someone takes in real football would have convinced me to give it up pretty early.

Now that said, I LOVED pickup football in my neighborhood and was pretty good at it.  And I played some pickup games against people who played high school ball, and I was more than competitive.  But that's a very different thing than a real game.

But then when you start talking about college and pro, I wouldn't have been fast enough.  Not by a longshot.  The positions my size would have let me compete at, even the SLOW guys are fast.  And while I was fast-ish in my pickup games and neighborhood, I wasn't going to matchup to even the slow guys at college.  Much less the NFL.