Bipolar Disorder: Is it right for people with bipolar disorder to keep their health status a secret from their partner?

A famous celebrity Kim Kardashian West has publicly addressed her husband Kanye's bipolar disorder and it wasn't funny at all. You can check the link here for Kim's interview

https://excess.fun/2020/08/05/kim-kardashian-west-...

• Evi

I have bipolar (with anxiety) and I have always been very open about it, it doesn't define who I am but it is a part of me. It's a lifelong illness, yes, but it also manageable. Is it right to keep your diagnosis secret from your partner? To answer that you have to look at the relationship, if you can't be yourself and be honest with your partner maybe you don't belong in that relationship. All relationships have ups and downs, but with bipolar those times are more extreme. It takes a special person to be able to cope with a bipolar partner  and not everyone  can handle that life.  Also worth noting, that however difficult you as a non bipolar person find it, the person with bipolar will find it 100 times harder.

Here's how I manage mine:

Take the prescribed medicine appropriately. 

Get enough sleep. 

Eat regular meals. 

On top of that, I pray and do bible study regularly (not for everyone, but this helps me) 

I do drink alcohol, but not very often and I know my limit. 

Also exercise is good for bipolar management. (I don't, because I don't want to exercise but others find it helpful)