Jamie
Lv 4
Jamie asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 2 months ago

Was it a factory that exploded in Beirut?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It was a warehouse explosion.

• 2 months ago

It was a warehouse that contained 2,700 tons of explosives, making such a catastrophe predictable, inevitable and inexcusable.   People may be hanged or shot over their role in this incompetence or corruption, after a thorough investigation.

• 2 months ago

no it was a warehouse, but I have yet to hear why that amount  of fertilizer chemicals were stored there.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No it was a warehouse.

Just to give an idea of the magnitude: the amount of fertiliser was more than two and a half THOUSAND times the size of the bombs used to cause such devastation in the City of London by the IRA.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It was mainly a warehouse, but I note that the country's largest grain elevator was operating nearby, and dust explosions from those things are not unknown.   Whatever the initial cause, the result was the detonation of 2,700 tons of ammonium fertilizer.  There are also claims that a work crew was using some sort  of cutting equipment or welding equipment on the site, and some suggestion that a fireworks factory could have been the source of the initial fire.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

no it was a warehouse storing ammonium nitrate

• 2 months ago

As far as I've heard Ammonium Nitrate, which is used mainly as a fertilizer, was being stored in a warehouse after it was taken off a ship.  I gather those in charge kept asking for it to be moved on, but it never was.   Boom.

• 2 months ago

They are saying that 2,700 tons of old and compacted Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer exploded because of an initial fire nearby. The blast it caused was equivalent to 1.155 kilotons of TNT.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Are you incapable of reading current news? Or even Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Beirut_explosio... .

• 2 months ago

It was a warehouse full of fertiliser.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.