Do employers go as far as to look at your college transcripts? Also do they look down on you for taking more than 4 years to finish?

I recently graduated college and have been applying for jobs. It’s pretty difficult with the pandemic going on, but I’m trying to stay optimistic. I wanted to know if employers are less likely to move you to the interview phase if they see on your resume that it took you longer than normal to graduate college. It took me 6 years to graduate, partly due to complications with the school, but partly due to my struggles with classes. I had to retake a couple classes and my grades overall were not great. Do they care about how long it took you? Also do they go as far as to look at your transcript to see what kind of student you were? I already have experience thanks to an internship and the degree helps, but seeing my grades would definitely make me look bad.

I've been on hiring committees of several private corporations and federal agencies. In my experience, most employers do not look at transcripts, at least initially. You are hired on the bases of your resume and interview. 

So they won't know how long it took you to graduate if you just put your graduation date on your resume, not the dates attended. They might be able to figure it out when they analyze your degree and your full-time employment, or they might not.

Except for in a minority of industries, you should not include your GPA on your transcript, although you should include any honors (e.g. c u m laude). 

After they have made a hiring decision, employers will sometimes request transcripts to verify the information included on your resume. While even that is less likely in these days of the National Student Clearinghouse, you should always make sure that the information you included in your application materials matches your transcript. 

Very few employer ask to see you transcripts.Some will verify that you did graduate, but that is it. Most doesn't even care what your GPA was. If the do, they will ask for that information. 

Unless you gradated with honors, don't put your GPA on your resume. You would never put how many years you were in college on a resume. Of course, it would be on a transcript, but again, very few employers have the time or care to do that deeply into your background.  

With a few exceptions, employers hire skills and attitude, not GPA. They will assume that if you gradated with a degree in accounting, for example, that you have mastered some knowledge and skills in the area. They aren't likely to look at your transcripts or even GPA.  If they need you to have passed a specific exam, like CPA or CFA in the accounting world, they will ask for those test results. 

• DON W

Your first job, particularly if it is professional, will indeed look at your transcript.  After your first job, they are much less likely to do so, generally taking your word that you received a xx degree from xx university in May 2018.

As someone who occasionally worked on selecting new employees, I would not have worried about six years to graduate--I might not even have noticed that.  Not all that many people graduate in four years these days.

when i was responsible for that sort of thing for entry level employees, we did indeed look at transcripts -- at least in the related areas.  As to how long it took to graduate ... we ignored the difference between 4 and 5 years and looked for employment evidence if it was 6 years or longer.  [part time students because of full time work make great employees, in my experience -- slackards and the unmotivated perhaps not.]

No, they don't care. They are more worried if you are a hard worker and have experience.

• keerok

The more prestigious the company is, the more they will go that far. How long it took you shouldn't matter as long as you have a good excuse for it (like if you were a working student, hint, hint). Grades do matter especially if you're applying for a higher position. 

From where I am, the school you graduate from is more important to a point where grades and how long it took you to finish won't matter.