Is it worth upgrading your car?

I have a 2009 Dodge Caliber, paid it off myself for a total of 4.5k last summer (with around 3k total in repairs...wasn't a smart buy).

It currently has 106k miles on it and, this may sound stupid, but there is a 2011 version of my car that has 50k miles and is selling for 6.5k.....

I am not well educated on car values and such so I was wondering if that would be a stupid buy to upgrade it to the newer version....?

I have a fear of my car being older and that stems from other issues so, to me, buying a car with less mileage seems "safe" and it's more so that I want to feel "Safe".

• Geo

Dodge Calibers are not well rated cars, look for yourself. Going from one Caliber to another is not upgrading. Chrysler/Jeep has most of the bottom rated cars. You spent $3K on repairs, drive it and save up to get a better car. Look at the reviews on anything you like. The Japanese make better than average cars. American cars are built to last the Warranty and European cars are expensive to maintain and repair, even VWs.

Your car is paid off.  Just drive it until it is not economical to get it repaired like replacing the transmission.