Was I being rude to my server at Denny's?

One time I went to Denny's and wanted to order a banana split as a snack, my server later tells me they didn't have any bananas yet there was a grocery store in the same parking lot, I said okay and ended up walking out, I wasn't too happy with that experience.

Your expectation was not met and you responded in a way that made sense to you.  Important to remember, the server was the messenger and not responsible for the lack of bananas on the premises.

It's not like the manager at that particular store could just go buy bananas retail and expect to be reimbursed for it. Restaurants, especially chain restaurants, have specific supply contracts that usually bill based on them buying huge quantities. So when they say they're out of something it means you can't get that in that moment. 

• JuanB

Just because their was a grocery store there doesn't mean anything.  Restaurants run out of stuff, it happens.  The number of times I've been to KFC and they say we are out of chicken....Now that is worthy of a head shake.

It sounds like you were rude.  Especially if you were upset, your body language would be toward the rude.  Unless you happen to say something to the effect of oh it was the only thing you really wanted and hopefully next time.

If a restaurant doesn't have the thing you want to order, it's perfectly reasonable to leave.

However, no one here knows whether you were rude or not.   There's a polite way to leave and a rude way to leave. 

He sounded like a jerk.

You should have said that you would go buy the banana and take the price off their bill.

You do not say how you acted toward the server, but you sound petty.   If they did not have what you wanted there is no reason to stay is there?