Anonymous

How can I redeem myself after a mistake at work?

(Background: I'm 16 and work at a golf course) I'm not going to go into it, but I did something where I should have known better at work the other day and my boss got mad at me. It wasn't a dire mistake, but he said if it happens again I will lose my job. His boss (the owner of the course) got mad at him for it so I feel awful. When he confronted me I apologized profusely, made it clear that I should have known better and I took full responsibility. I want to redeem myself to show my boss and the owner that I'm not a bad employee, I just made a mistake. It would be ideal if the course could get some positive Google reviews with my name in them, but I don't know how I would get customers to remember my name AND leave a good review. I'm open to any suggestions as to how I can prove that I'm not a bad employee. 

• Humans make mistakes once in a while, we're not perfect. At least you owned up to it and hopefully learned from it. If you knew better, you shouldn't have made the mistake. But it happened and it's time to try to move on from it and not do it again.

Greet your customers, use your name when you greet them and offer really good customer service. Have a good attitude and be polite, even if they're being rude. 

• Erik

The truth is that most bosses are jerks, for whatever reason.  Once he tells you why it was so wrong, and you promise not to do it again, that should be the end of it, without getting overly emotional.  So just move on.

Any reasonable person/boss would move on.  No need to make it up to them other than to prove yourself going forward.  Trying to manipulate reviews will just as likely backfire as do good.  

• A.J.

First, let's keep it in perspective. Nobody is perfect. And, an old saying is true, "One awshit wipes out a whole bunch of attaboys. You have to expect it to be that way. Worst job mistakes people die. Second worst people seriously injured or business collapses into bankruptcy. Third worst people injured or business takes a large hit. Fourth worst business fails a government inspection or notable hit to business.

Likely, in your case, you got a customer or few angry.

At 16, you are typically not in your life career nor supporting your family. 

You weren't fired, so relax. Be better at your job overall and learn from the mistake.

If you want good reviews, make it easy for customers to do it, and feel free to remind them they can do it. Have a business card made up including web site for a review. 

If you gave me your name and your work place name i will give it a fantastic review