Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Can I write my father’s will for him since he has no well and now has Alzheimer’s?

Can I write it for him and that’s benefit from it since my brothers are not in the area?

You'll need to get legal advice on this. One supposes that you could write it with him during a more lucid period, but you will need at least one witness to his signature and his ability to understand fully what he is signing. 

• Eva

No you can't. The person has to be of sound mind in order to sign it and you need two impartial witnesses to sign as well. You'll have to follow the intestate process in your state when he passes.

Consult an attorney who can review your case and advice you of your options.

• Fin

Short answer - no.

It won't stand up in court  Even if you manage to get your dad to sign it - the period in which he signed it he was not of sound state of mind/mental health.  And you're not going to be able to get a notary to stamp it. 

I don't know what "that's benefit from it" means.

You cannot write a Will for someone else.  Everyone executing a Will must be in sound mind.  If your father has no well and now has Alzheimer's, HE cannot execute a Will.

I guess you'll have to get a job.