Boy
Boy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

When you are going to give a waitress a tip and she does this what should you do? ?

She gives you the bill and you give her the exact change, though you are going to tip her before you leave. I just didn’t tip her right away. 

You give her the exact change and she gets flipped off, and she gives you an attitude and her voice changes into a rude angry curt way. She says thank you in an pissy tone of voice. She leaves your table and never comes back. You can never find her again in the restaurant.

What should you do? 

Any time a waiter makes it clear that they're expecting a tip, I don't leave one.

What really annoys me is when I hand over the money, and they don't bring the change. Of course sometimes I want them to keep it, and in that case I SAY so as they pick up the money - I say, "That's fine, keep the change".

But if I don't say it, they should always bring the change back to me. Very often I plan to give them much more than the change is going to be, but if they second-guess me and keep the change then they're only cheating themselves. If they don't bring the change back, I don't leave anything more.

I know there are miserable jerks of customers who never tip. But most people DO, and it's totally unprofessional and in fact downright RUDE for a waiter to make it clear they expect a tip, or to get angry when they think one isn't forthcoming. Just WAIT A MINUTE, will you?!?

Any server with an entitled attitude is signalling that they feel you "owe" them a tip, which is completely false. All tips are optional, by definition.  That's the whole point. Do not reward rude servers with ANY sort of tip. You may also take it to the next level by complaining to the manager, or simply take your business elsewhere.

Not my duty to pay tips, I am not responsible for paying the wages of wait staff, that is solely the responsibility of the actual employer. If restauranteers paid a decent wage, staff would not have to rely on public tipping. 

I'd get over myself and go on with my life and get all bothered by important things.

I would tip her.  She did her job, you were finished being served.  I may tip her less, for her curt behavior, but I wouldn't stiff her.

Don't reward her rude behavior with a tip.

Unzip and give her the tip.

I'd probably tip extra just so she feels like an *** and learns not to make assumptions.  

But I wouldn't be in that position because only a moron pays a check with exact change if they intend to tip.   You either pay with larger bills or you inform her you'll tip on the table. 

When you hand her your bill tell her you'll leave the tip on the table.  This way she knows shes getting one.

I tip in cash, separate from my bill also.  The amount I give is on the MEALS/DRINKS ONLY portion (the PRE-TAX amount). 

There's no logical reason why I should tip the IRS.

Keep the money