What does "I'll use my discretion mean" in this context? ?

I wrote to someone, asking them to stop doing something, which was annoying me. They replied in a letter "I'll use my discretion." What do they mean?

• Lili

It normally means, "I will decide what I'm going to do according to the circumstances. I will use my own judgment."

In other words, in this context, it means that you don't get to tell this person what to do or what not to do. Only he or she will make the decision.

I think they mean that they are acknowledging that your problem, and while they make no promises of making any changes, they will likely try to keep it in mind in the future.

If it is just annoying and you have no recourse legally, you may try to bribe them to change, or befriend them.  If you can kindly offer an alternative that benefits them enough to make change worth it, you may get your way.  If you see it as a declaration of war and retaliate, you'll likely just escalate things making them worse for everyone.

• Steve

I will decide, myself, on what action to take.

• RP

It means they will do what they can.

That's a polite way of telling you that "They" don't give a bleep about how you feel.

• Vivian

They meant that they would use their behavior to change their irritation/offense to you.