Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Would you be offended if a friend tells you we have very different personalities and I prefer if u dont call me?

if u want to reqch out, id be happy to answer thru emails

No, there are different ways to communicate that work best for people, depending on their type of friendship and goals. If it's better to have things written down, it's better to have things written down. it would be weird if they're a friend and you don't want to hear them ever, but that's a decision some people make.

• Jerry

No. Even with my own dear husband, I can become impatient with his "thinking out loud" communication style. I'll ask him to please take a time out and put his "flow of consciousness" thoughts into writing then edit the rough draft to leave out unnecessary details, to organize his thoughts into groups (paragraphs), to present the various thoughts in some rational order instead of jumping from this to that then back to this. 

Once he gets his thoughts into order and cuts out irrelevant details, I can read what he wants to tell me in less than 10 minutes. But if he's giving me "fresh thoughts" right out of his brain without any "get this organized" editing process, he can talk for a half hour and then spend another half hour answering my questions before I come to an understanding of what it is he's trying to tell me. Thanks, but I'd don't want or need to be involved in the process of "Make this more comprehensible and concise." I can do something else with that 50 minutes I don't spend listening to him ramble. 

It's not as if your friend is telling you to buzz off. Your friend is just telling you "We need to do this in a way that doesn't take up so much of my time, doesn't use up so much of my energy." Respect that your friend's time and energy are limited and are valuable to him/her. It's up to you to make your communications more acceptable, not up to your friend to overlook your long winded disorganized rambling style of communication. 

• geezer

Well .. I might if I knew what REQCH was.