Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

which sentence is correct?

I'll take my favorite design bag.

I'll take my favorite designed bag.

I'll take a bag with a design I like.

I'll take a bag with my favorite design.

• RP

All, except the second, are correct. The problem with the second is designed is out of place, but it would be fine as "designer."

" I'll take a bag with a design I like."

This is the most natural choice. The other sentences are either incorrect, or would only apply in very rare circumstances.  Let's look at them closer.

" I'll take my favorite design bag." This would only be correct if there was such a thing as a "design bag" and you had many of them. Then you would take your favorite one.  There is such a thing as a "designer bag", made by a famous fashion label, but that's not the same thing.

" I'll take my favorite designed bag." This would only be true if you had something called a "designed bag".  I've never heard of such a thing, but perhaps you had several bags created (designed) some special way, (as opposed to a generic bag) and you're taking your favorite one.

" I'll take a bag with a design I like."  This is the correct way of saying that you have several bags with different designs, and you'll take your favorite one.

" I'll take a bag with my favorite design."  This is simply worded incorrectly unless you have more than one bag with the same design, and that design is your favorite.  Assuming you have only one bag with your favorite design, you would say  " I'll take THE bag with my favorite design."  "A" means one of many, "the" means a specific one.

3 and 4 are OK, native speakers wouldn't use 1 or 2.

Depends what you want it to mean - I'll take my favorite designer bag - would probably be my choice meaning a bag by a named designer.