Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

How likely is it to get shin splints from running on asphalt?

Specifically for a 35-year-old

• .

Since the vast majority of runners run on asphalt or concrete, it's quite possible but it's not a certainty. The source article has info on how to relieve shin splints, as well as a bit of info on how to help prevent them (you may want to do additional searching on how to prevent them).

.

Some preventative suggestions are to ensure you're wearing the proper type of running shoes for your biomechanics and running surface, and that you change them out when they are too worn to provide proper support/cushion anymore. In addition to that, build your mileage slowly (over-training or pushing beyond your body's limits, is a prime way to develop an injury). Cross training is also a good way to reduce chances of various running-related injuries, as it helps strengthen your body in different ways. 

.

Although I've never had shin splints (I'm 55 and have been running on and off since my 30s), I've had some running related issues or other issues that were aggravated by running. I got through those issues or helped relieve them by finding shoes that made a difference, doing various strengthening and stretching exercises, as well as foam rolling and myofascial release therapy. It's absolutely better to be proactive and do what you can to prevent injury, than to just run and wait to see if you develop an injury, and then treat it. 

If the runner has shinsplints, running surface may be a factor. But, it won't the only factor. If the runner corrects the other factor(s), the runner should be able to run on asphalt. 

The  first step is to verify the actual injury. 

The runner should consult with the family physician or sports medicine.

By the way, a common cause of shinsplints is running in the wrong shoes. Runner's have different biomechanics, and running shoe manufacturers make a range of models to match. 

Running in shoes that have too  much cushion will injure some runners. Running in shoes that have too little cushion will injure some other runners.