How can I pass my smog test?

This passed morning I went for a smog test I failed. During this pandemic for nearly 5 months I’ve only driven my car like around 10 or 20 miles each week. 3 months ago I changed my batteries because it was dead. So when I went to get a smog test the mechanic wanted me to take it for a long drive. I took it  like 130 miles total. Then brought it back to the shop so he can do a smog test. Still failed. So he told me to go home and rest and keep on driving it and driving it other days.

• Scott

Study harder for it. When your battery went dead from sitting for extended periods, it would have reset the ECM. If an ECM module is reset or replaced, you have to complete a number of "drive cycles" to establish the baseline readings in your emissions control system. Driving a long distance is not going to do it, you would have been better off driving 5 separate times of 20-30 miles each than one 130 mile drive.

• Barry

Change the oil and filter to fully synthetic oil. Fit a new air filter. Fit new spark plugs properly gapped. You should only need to drive about 20 miles to get the engine up to full working temperature. But floor the accelerator a few times to burn off any carbon and get the catalytic converter working before you take it for testing.

Find the drive cycle procedure  for your car.