Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 6 months ago

I am 21+, renting an apartment, my lease doesn't say mention a limit of how many bottles of liquor/beer I can keep. Does that mean no limit?

I recently emptied out my storage unit, in which I had enough for a small bar. I actually do not drink much or often, just that a couple years ago, obtained access to liquor at below retail consequently stocked up (Beer or Wine I have occasionally, usually with meals) .. And with covid / social distancing it will take me awhile to drink it all yet don't want to throw it away .. 

say or mention .. I was typing in the dark. But yes ok, will check local regulations. 

Liquor bottles are typically full as I'd kept them in a storage unit for several years.

I am not seeing anything particular to my state (and don't have anybody underage living 

with me). Guess a call to the state alcoholic commission wouldn't be a bad idea right ?

40 bottles or so, mostly 750ml, a few 1L or 1.75; no carpets, wine is limited to a few bottles. 

I'm mostly concerned about the liquor, don't want them to think I'm a drunk when I've cut back 

my consumption a LOT in recent years. And most of my local friends drink even less, if at all.

Most of my beer is in the fridge. Surplus is in one of the pantries but just a couple extra 6 packs.

It's personal use, never intended on reselling the stuff. My apartment is near a university but like I said I am 21+ and don't have anybody underage living with me.

Leafsfan29: I only found a couple of bottles of wine emptying out my storage unit, they're probably vinegar at this point. And in the era of covid, don't intend on hosting any large parties. I'm just a bit worried that whenever management inspects they'll overreact at seeing so many bottles of tequila, vodka, etc.

• Walt

If you are renting they cant say any thing about how many liquor bottles you have

• ?

Since when has a landlord ever been allowed to control how much booze you're allowed in your own home? You're over thinking this so much I wonder if you're actually a legal adult. 

There is no limit if the lease doesn't set one.

• You should be fine as long as you're not having a large party.  

Don't store wine in a storage unit; you want it stored somewhere slightly cool (not a refrigerator).  

• ?

Depends where you live, Saudi will have different laws than Texas. In the US there is no limit to how much alcohol you can store. Transporting for sales is regulated but that isn't your intention - go for it. 

• kswck2

Try selling it to a restaurant. 

A few grains of sand becomes a heap when you have to climb over 20,000 beer bottles to get to the fire exit. Generally speaking there's no common limit to how many beer bottles you have but there will be a point where you are deemed a hoarder and need to clean up or get evicted. Also in inspections, if there's crap sitting way too long it stains floors and carpets so I don't know exactly if you're in trouble or not. It all comes down to who is doing the inspection and what they think is a violation of what rules they are there to enforce. Someone's nightmare mess is some else's cool collection.

• ?

As long as it is for personal use, not for commercial usage, there will be not laws against it.

I have a Frigidaire 34-Bottle Wine Chiller, about 34" tall, to keep my wine at 55°F.  If you have more, you can get a bigger you can find a wine chiller/refrigerator that handles over 200 bottles. 

In addition to your lease stipulations, there may be municipal, county or state laws that apply, but  I certainly wouldn’t throw away good beer and wine for fear of some regulation that probably doesn’t exist.   Do your research.