Josh asked in SportsHockey · 4 months ago

Does anyone else find NHL fighting disgusting and think that should be banned ?

I may be a snowflake, I admit it, but at 28, I never liked ice hockey fighting, never, that's why I always refused to play the game even when invited. I think it sends a wrong message, full of violence, and should be banned. I will not take insults personally, so feel free. 

Lets ban being an asshole next

• bill

Fighting is already almost gone and as it did we see sticks to the face and cheap shots in the checking game increasing exponentially.

There is so little fighting in the NHL these days, that it does not really seem like a issue to me. I thinking fighting in the CHL is a bigger issue because we are talking about people who are legally children being sent out to fight. 

So Josh, were your first words " toe pick " ?

• Fighting in the NHL is at a historical low since the sport began, but by all means keep rolling that tired dirge out.  You weren't alive in the 70's and 80's when fighting in the NHL was pervasive.  That ship has sailed, and it's not coming back.

The other area where you're completely wrong is that fighting is somehow legal.  It's not.  But please- find me a rule book where fighting isn't a major penalty (at least).  You can't.  I'm so tired of people who don't like hockey, who don't watch hockey, who don't understand hockey complaining about something that they know nothing about.  The NHL rulebook covers fighting (or fisticuffs, as its referred to) in multiple sections.  AT NO POINT DOES IT SAY THAT FIGHTING IS COOL.

The reason officials don't jump in is safety.  You have two well-conditioned grown men wearing razor blades on their feet throwing punches.  Jumping in can be dangerous so they pick their spots.  I've broken up fights; you end up getting punched by both combatants.  Now try it on skates when it's 10 times harder and more dangerous.  But please, identify a recreational league that tolerates fighting.  Never mind the NHL.  Show me a recreational league that has ANY tolerance for fighting (especially one catering to novice players) because no league is going to risk the liability of having someone getting knocked out in a beer league fight at their facility.  Not happening.  The one I played in (probably done playing; my knees are shot and I'm closer to 50 than 40) had an automatic 5-game suspension for fighting.  Last year our league had ONE fight.  ONE.  Both guys were suspended and eventually kicked out.  This is a men's league in Toronto.  I played minor hockey as a kid and have played adult 'beer' league hockey for 20+ years.  In 20 years of playing beer league hockey, I've been challenged to a fight ONCE by some ex-minor pro ringer playing against middle-aged office jockeys.  The idea that you've got a bunch of goons running around instigating fights is laughably uninformed.  IT DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Well my friend, I love hockey too, and the fighting is just part of it whether you agree with it or not. Does it disgust me? No, but I would not fight either. 

I've never been a huge fan of the fighting, and was glad years ago when they nearly eliminated it. They then brought it back with more "rules". I think it is kind of silly. Play the game.

Of course fighting in football is even more silly. I mean you have a helmet and all kinds of pads on, unless you rip off a persons helmet and beat them with it (Browns) what real damage can you do?