Spaz
Spaz asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

why does my Gfci breaker trip when my whirlpool tub is not in use?

I moved into a new house with a whirlpool tub and while I like it the circuit breaker keeps tripping when not in use. I will take a bath use the whirlpool and then some time will go by and when I come back to the bath the breaker has tripped underneath the tub so I have toI could not imagine a electrician coming in to replace it. 

There is a leak in the tub,  when it has been unused for a while it dries out under neath the tub will work.   You fill it up,  use it and it leaks and trips the GFI later.   You need to find the leak,  kept the circuit breaker in the garage or basement turned off until you find the leak.. 

GFCI breakers do have limited life ... somewhere around 40 to 70 trips and it is done.  they're easy to replace .... any handyman can do this -- just be certain the power in that circuit is off.

If that doesn't end the problem, the likely issue is that there is a small water leak that drips onto the electrical and cause the good GFCI to trip [the GFCI is always powered].  If that's the case, the bath may be toast ... fixing one of these is the very devil to do because you can't get at the plumbing to find the leak, much less to repair it.

Source(s): grampa ... my daughter had one of these tubs in her second story master bath ... it leaked and damaged the kitchen ceiling underneath -- she determined that it could not be repaired and so ripped the thing our and replaced it with a walkin shower

Replace the breaker.

• Droopy

They go bad eventually it will trip an will not reset. 

The gfci may have gone bad. It happens. I've had to replace 2 in my house that repeatedly tripped for no reason.