USA Election and indelible ink mark?

Dear All,

I am going to be a first-time voter in November. I would like to know if any indelible ink mark should be placed on any of the fingers after I cast my vote? In India, mark is done on right index finger. So, feeling curious in USA.

Also, can you briefly tell me what  steps I would expect after entering in the election center till I come out?

No, the U.S. doesn't do that.

Why edibil ink ? Funny man I say no.

• Tmess2

The exact rules depend upon where you vote.

For the most part, the U.S  does not mark people who have voted.  We use other mechanisms to prevent people from voting twice.  Obviously, they are less reliable than marking somebody's fingers in ink, but that is a system "not invented here" so it has never gained traction in the U.S.

The first step depends upon whether there are multiple precincts using the same location or only one precinct.  If there are multiple precincts, there should be signs pointing you to different parts of the building for different precincts.  

Once in the right part of the building, there will be a set of tables.  Until recently, in my county, each table had a specific part of the alphabet because the voting rolls were divided alphabetically.  We have now moved to an electronic system; so it is just whatever line is shortest.

Once you reach the front of the line, they will ask for your name and whatever form of ID is currently required by your state.  You will then be asked to verify your address (what races you can vote on may depend on your exact address depending upon the lines for various elective offices which can split a precinct).  You will be asked to sign verifying the accuracy of your information.  At that point, the paper roll or the electronic record will show that you have voted, and you will not be able to come back later and vote for a second time even if you leave before having voted.  

(If there is a problem at this stage of the process, you should be given the option of casting a provisional ballot.  Basically, that requires you filling out a form indicating why you think you are eligible to vote with supervising election officials getting a chance after the ballot to review that form before counting your vote.)  

Depending on your county, you will then be given the appropriate optic-scan or other paper ballot for your address or the appropriate "jump drive"-type device.  If your county uses a form of paper ballot, you will then be directed to one of the "booths" to mark your ballot.  The ballot should include the proper direction for completing the ballot.  If you county uses some type of touch-screen device, you will be directed to a booth containing the device, you will then plug in your jump drive and the machine will take you through your ballot.  

If you are in a paper ballot county, you will take your ballot to either a box or scanning device and deposit your ballot.  If you live in a touch-screen device county, your ballot is cast upon your hitting the proper button and removing your jump drive.  You will then have a place to return your jump drive so that it can be used again.  

You are then free to leave.