What causes bursts of rage in a young man?

I am 23, and I don't have any mental disorder, but I often get bursts of rage like this morning where I almost broke a window glass by punching it, I was stopped by my older brother before I actually broke the glass and slashed my hand. 

My simple question is why?, if you ask me why I got that angry and mad, I don't know, I just woke up in a very bad mood and remembered things of the past that are embarrassing. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Those could be symptoms of intermittent explosive disorder (IED), for instance.  Regardless, it seems like there are some anger management issues, and therapy is certainly recommended.  No one wants you to get so out of control and harm yourself or someone else.

The two kinds of therapists who may provide an "official" mental health diagnosis and/or may administer cognitive-behavioral therapy (cbt), for instance, which deals with how one's thoughts may affect one's behavior, is either a licensed *clinical psychologist* (PhD or PsyD) or a *licensed-clinical social worker* (LCSW).

For those with anger management issues, a type of cbt known as dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), for instance, may be helpful.

Either a board-certified psychiatrist (M.D. or D.O.) or even a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (NP) may provide a mental health evaluation and/or prescribe medication for those with mental health issues.

Please do *not* try to provide a self-diagnosis or self-treatment and instead make an appointment with a licensed mental health professional.

This website should have some local counseling agencies:

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/

Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Perhaps you may also talk with your family doctor, too, just to rule out certain health issues.

(I'll add more later.)

• 2 months ago

Actually uncontrollable rage is a "mental disorder."  There are rage management programs.  Perhaps you should enroll in one.

• 2 months ago

Testosterone. Hormones will fck you up every time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.