Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Why do some stores check the ID of anyone who is with you when you buy alcohol?

I'm 23 and my brother is 21.

Often if we go to a store together, and one of us is buying beer, the clerk required both of us to sell ID.

Okay, I get why, they want to make sure someone of age isn't buying for a minor, but why do they feel the need to do that?

1. Say that my brother actually was under 21. But I am still of age. Welp, that means I would obviously just buy from another store. It's not much of a moral stance if they cannot prevent the underage drinking by doing so, they'd just be letting money walk out the door for no gain.

2. I'm no lawyer, but I've worked in stores that sell alcohol, including a State run liquor store. And in all my training I have never heard of a law saying the store must ID check the buyers entire entourage.

Pretty sure their liability ends with ID checking the buyer, right?

So why turn away a paying customer when A. You don't have to, and B. It doesn't benefit you?

The clerk required both of us to SHOW ID I meant, not "sell" ID. Typo there.

IDK. ive never had this happen . By law, only Actual Buyer may be asked. Remember, store does not "have" to sell it to you at all, even if you are 64.  But, t, individual store policies vary. Perhaps  clerk had just got in trouble for selling to an adult that immediately handed it to a minor in their company. IDK.  Some stores (Walgreen's) card everyone  who buys; others say; "obviously under 30". whatever That means. I got carded at 47 , once.  Girl almost wouldn't take my Federal ID. i noticed later that store had to, by law, accept one. 

Just shop Elsewhere. i do. One gun store that  snubbed me is Now out of business. After several years of good business with me,  buying my SKS from them.  Good Riddance.

EDIT: 21?  No. The drinking    age   varies. it is 18 in some states. 

• Alan H

You could be buying it for a minor...The store would be responsible 

• Bruce

Lawsuits, even if frivolous, can be expensive to defend. If one is under 21 and the beer is given to them before they leave the property, someone could still claim they are liable. 

The reason you didn't learn about that in training is because it is not state law, it is company policy. 

Because they do not want to go to jail or prison for selling alcohol to minors.

Because that's what THE LAW regarding alcohol sales in their jurisdictions demands.

Duh !

It's just to avoid liability if something does happen. Someone is going to point fingers at the store and say "why did you let him buy alcohol, he was clearly with that minor at your store when the alcohol was purchased".