Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Why is it that the over 50s are being asked to shield or stay at home ?

Once again?? 

I am 54 years old and have two teenagers who are almost young adults yet people around our age are told to shield because of the coronavirus 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Because the older you are, the more you could be effected by COVID-19 depending on your health and physiology. If you catch it, you could be asymptomatic or you could be effected greatly, especially if you have other underlying conditions like diabetes or respiratory. If you are effected the symptoms are only worse the older you are. If you are elderly, COVID-19 could be a death sentence.

Conversely, the younger you are, the less you are effected. Kids are generally effected the least. Their symptoms, if any, may just look like a cold. The danger for you is that your teens who may be effected very little, may pass it on to you. Although, the younger the child the harder it seems to pass from child to adult research is finding.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my locale it's the over 65's unless there's some preexisting medical condition. 

• 2 months ago

I don't think the cut off is 50 years old but rather 70 or more and also certain conditions like heart disease, diabetes.

You can go out safely if you wear a mask, stay away from other people and use common sense

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Everyone, regardless of age, should shield and stay at home as much as possible, and keep distance when out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.