Lee asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 2 months ago

What do I need to get into voice acting?

I'm interested in becoming a narrator for audio books but I've never done voice acting work before, I know I'll need voice training and stuff like that. But what about physical gear? What sort of mic? Or headphones? Or soundproofing?

Thank you 

• Cogito

Almost all voice-work goes to fully-trained and very experienced actors - they do the occasional bit of voice-acting just to earn a little extra money in between ordinary acting roles.

I mean - think about it. You have a role to fill in a cartoon or commercial or whatever - who do you choose to audition - a kid with no experience or a professional actor with a fantastic résumé showing years at drama school and loads of stage and film experience?

Training to be an actor - any sort of actor - takes approximately seven years.  And after all that, several years of unpaid experience.  And even then, you'd be lucky to get more than a few days' paid work a year.  It's incredibly competitive, especially nowadays when hundreds of thousands of professional actors have no TV, movie or stage work due to the Covid-19 situation.  Many of them are suddenly looking for voice work, as that can be done alone in a studio.

Until you've had all that training and experience, don't waste your money on any 'gear' at all.

Mostly, you need a website called "Yahoo Answers" where this "question" is asked a zillion times a week. OK, so I'm exaggerating, but come on. Jesus!