Can your employer fire you for taking a vacation?

My cousin works at a vet clinic, and she took a vacation to Tennessee this past week. With COVID going on, her employer told her before she came back to work she had to be tested. My cousin got back Friday night and was tested yesterday, they told her she would have her results back in 5-7 days. Her employer told my cousin that she was selfish for taking a vacation. My cousin is pretty sure she will be getting fired when she goes back to work. If she does get fired, with everything going on right now, is that allowed? I know they can't fire you while you are on vacation but I wasn't sure about how things will be working right now. Please help me give her an answer.

• Judith

Since she has been tested for COVID-19 she needs to wait for the results and self-isolate for 14 days.  I don't think she should be paid for the time she isn't working either.  If I had been her employer I wouldn't have approved the vacation since she was going out of state unless she agreed to a 14 day quarantine without pay when she returns whether she'd taken that test or not.

Her employer can fire her for any reason but she isn't being fired because she took a vacation - she would be fired because she was irresponsible in taking a vacation and exposing herself.  People who are safety-conscious in regards to COVID aren't traveling.  Not only to protect themselves but so that they don't expose others to the virus when they return home.

I think your cousin was acting irresponsibly and without regard to other people.  Actions have consequences; your cousin should have given it more thought.

In answer to your question, she can be fired for ANY reason except for what is legally protected and that is legal protection against discrimination due to race, religion, gender and age and sexual orientation.

• Lester

Yes i was fired from a job just because they didnt like me

• Yeti

Assuming she's at-will, she can be fired for any reason or for none at all.

But if her employer had a problem with the vacation and need to quarantine, the employer could have refused approval of the vacation in the first place. It's pretty common for employers to fire employees who "take vacation" without approval. Ever hear of going AWOL (absent without leave)?

I'm assuming your cousin traveled without disclosing that when she requested leave? And yeah, if she now needs to miss a week or two of work, it would be expected for her employer to fire her for that. Most employers expect employees to disclose travel when requesting vacation at this point, so they can plan appropriately and/or deny the leave request if necessary.

• Neil

You "know" they can't fire you when you're on vacation? Guess what, they CAN!

They can fire her for anything, or for nothing.  They can fire you while you are on vacation.

she will be able to file for unemployment.  last i heard, vets aren't busy during CV19 -- people are putting off taking Fido in -- so this is likely a smoke screen

• Scott

That depends what their policy is. My employer has a policy in place that if we leave the state for anything other than medical appointments, we have to quarantine for two weeks.