Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

My sister bullies me and my mother lets her because she is scared of her. What do I do?

• ?

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc.

Bullies want attention, and my general feelings are that if people allow them to get their way through fear (the ultimate emotional reaction) they are succeeding and will continue. One way to combat verbal bullying is not to ignore them completely as this shows that they are getting to you, but demonstrate that you have heard the remark or whatever with a glance, dismissive wave or brief response ("oh yes", or similar) and THEN ignore them. Why should you care what such a pathetic person thinks of you? (Only weak and needy people feel a need to bully). Alternatively, or in addition, try to use some humour (U.K. spellings!). It need not be mocking humour, but some light-hearted banter can often diffuse situations.

Put on an imaginary suit of golden armour, and visualise the unkind remarks (or those you perceive to be unkind - be very careful not to imagine a slight when none is intended) as arrows, harmlessly bouncing off your armour and falling to the ground.

If the abuse is physical, you could join a martial arts or self defence class. Or even check out some moves on Youtube. Learn to defend yourself without retaliating.

Good Luck!

• ?

if shes getting physical tell the police about it

My brother was like that but then over the years I lost all respect for him as he tried so hard to steal whatever I had from girlfriends to friends I knew. And was always broke and a poor victim running to me or my mom for money. He's a got a lot of bark but no bite! 

Man up I suppose..........

Call CPS if you are a minor and they can arrange a new living situation. If an adult refuse to ever talk to your sister again. I did that with mine  other then a cordial hello at weddings and funerals. 

🥴 Well if mummy can't be the authority figure, you have a mouth. Use it.

Just make sure you're right.