Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Is the only way I can get him to sleep in his crib through the night is to keep putting him back in his crib each time he cries ?

My one year old is still not sleeping through the night. He wakes up many times during the night because he wants to sleep with me and not in his crib. I give into him because I want to go back to sleep so I just put him in bed with me when he cries. His room is upstairs and I was thinking about putting his crib mattress on the floor next to my bed (with pillows next to the mattress in case he rolls off the mattress) and that he’ll be right next to my bed and I can just put him right back in his “crib” when he falls asleep again. I don’t want to take apart the whole crib to move it downstairs to my room because I’m eventually going to move him back in his room upstairs. Will this work to get him to sleep through the night in his crib. I’ll basically be training him to sleep through the night laying on his crib mattress and when he finally does sleep through the night within a few days or a week, I would put the mattress back in his crib and let him sleep in his crib upstairs 

• Edna

Your child is one year old. Put him in his crib, in his own room, at night;  turn off the light; walk out and shut the door. Don't go back, no matter how much he cries. If he gets out of his crib during the night and comes into your room, put him right back in his crib - don't let him sleep in your room.,

A few nights of that, and he'll soon learn that he's to sleep in his crib, in his room, and not next to you in your room. 

Sound-proof your room and your kid's.

• Koi

Let the baby sleep with you unless you're obese and could crush him. 

• edward

Me and my wife let our son cry.  He was already 4 months when he was sleeping through most nights.  Sometimes he wakes up in the night for whatever reason he has.  Literally we sat on the floor outside his door waiting for him to fall back asleep

• A.J.

Young children learn by positive and negative reinforcement in very simple ways.

Baby cries? >> What does baby get?

I can understand hunger, an uncomfortable diaper, loud noises, any number of medical or similar issues.

Babies do like to be in contact, sight, or near mom. You cannot blame a child for that. 

Why is he waking up so frequently?

He does not wake up because he wants to be with you. He cries out because of it after he is awake. That's not the same thing.

You give into him as a convenience to you, that reinforces the habit to cry to get your attention.

Raising a young child is tough. You have to read about and discuss with good experts of how to do things best. You have to do counter-intuitive things. You have to sacrifice, especially short term to teach longer term. I happen to be an older gay male never married and never children, but my mother among her college degrees is a Master's in Child Psychology and I grew up reading Psychology Today magazine and have a good memory. I also was a project manager and engineer problem solver.

You need the root cause of frequent awakening, and whether to enter the room, to pick him up or not, and what to do from that point.

One year old diet and feeding pattern? Light and darkness in the room?

You might be correct in your plan, but my suggestion is to look for a book, internet search for solid advice, discuss with a professional adviser.

I do know that picking up a crying infant to comfort them causes them to cry more often to get comforted more often. I can understand it if there is a real non-psychological issue. I've read "let them cry sometimes" but will not be so bold since my knowledge is indirect and many years ago reading.

You will need to buck-up and let him cry himself back to sleep. Babies are like dogs, you are giving positive reinforcement for the behavior you don't want causing the repetitive responses - once he realizes nothing good comes of crying he will stop. It is tough to do but there is no other way if you want the rest you need and deserve. 

• God

What's wrong with letting him sleep with you?  One thing you need to remember is: It will pass.  In a few months he will be willing to sleep alone.

Source(s): Been there, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it.
  • Goerge

Whatever works for you. There are a ton of parenting books out there but everybody's situation is unique so I say try it and see if it works.