Savannah asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

What do I do?

I have these two relatives who keep nagging me to pet sit their dog whenever they want to go out & it’s starting to inconvenience me. What should I do? They never even offer to pay me to pet sit and they act like I’m supposed to just drop everything in my plans for them and it’s getting on my nerves 

Well, they say things to guilt trip. That’s why

I don’t like pet sitting and I don’t even like doing it but they act like I’m obligated to do it just because I’m related to them. I’ve asked about being paid and they said “No”, they’re too cheap and apparently expect me to waste my time for free. 

• J

I don’t know why people think they need a pet sitter just to go out for the evening. A dog should be fine alone for a few hours. If it’s all day, then they should pay someone to come let the dog out to do its business. Next time they ask, just say “sorry, I can’t.” No need to give a reason. People shouldn’t get pets if they have to rely on others to care for them (unless they’re willing to pay). 

• Tj

Just tell them, sorry I have other plans...then walk away, or change the subject

Tell them that you need money, so you are going to look for a job - perhaps dog sitting as you are so good at it. 

Tell them you're really  not interested in doing it and that they are going to have to find someone else.  I'm not sure why you do that when you don't want to.