Why are the James Bond books hard to read despite not being that long?

Serenity 14 books by Ian Fleming.

Marli too much talking about thinking to himself is the problem.

• John

Because in many cases Fleming fails to draw you in.  

Goldfinger the 1st chapter, has nothing to do with the book, it is just there as a filler. To make matters worse, he spends a whole chapter writing about the game of golf between Auric Goldfinger and Bond, and it is utterly boring.  

If you are wanting espionage books, John Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy  is the book, be warned though it is long and involved and to make matters worse, just like the real world of spying, nothing is quite what it seems?  

If you are wanting 1st class thriller writing, Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe books are top class, The Big Sleep, The Long Goodbye, Farewell my lovely, The Little Sister, all grab you by the throat and say keep reading? 

I read them all when I was about 13. I found them thrilling. 

• Marli

I've read only "Casino Royale" and did not find it hard.

Assess the book you read. Were there words you could not define?  Was it Fleming's English prose style? Was it the 1940s-1950s setting?

How can u read James no d. Its movies not t books