What kind of audio connection is this?

Not standard XLR! This was installed on the back of a speaker and was not originally there.

Attachment image

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    It is just out of the ordinary.

  • 2 months ago

    It's a Speakon connector, commonly known as a speaker twist connector.


  • Mmm J
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Just like the imprint says... Neutrik. Fairly common on passive (not powered) speakers that connect to an amplifier. Better than 1/4" connectors because of the way they lock.

    Not typically used with active or power speakers (where there is an amp inside the speaker).

    I also see the EV on the speaker at the lower left of the Neutrik connector.

    Link to passive Electrovoice speaker


    Check the specs - specifically the inputs where is says XLR - No.

    Link to active EV speaker:


    You can see the XLR connectors on the back.

    Everything looks normal with your speaker assuming it is passive/not powered - other than it is not the prettiest after-market repair/fix... A 1/4" plug probably used to be there and broke inside so the fix was to replace that jammed plug with a Neutrik plug. Good idea...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.