Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

Would you ever consider praying to the deistic God of the Universe so that maybe it will tell you what caused the big bang? ?

Author Sam Harris said that some people “describe God as being synonymous with the laws of mathematics and pure consciousness” 

-I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.- Stephen Roberts

"Does it mean, if you don’t understand something, and the community of physicists don’t understand it, that means God did it? Is that how you want to play this game? Because if it is, here’s a list of things in the past that the physicists at the time didn't understand [and now we do understand.] If that’s how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that’s getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on - so just be ready for that to happen, if that’s how you want to come at the problem." Neil deGrasse Tyson-If the Universe needs a creator, why doesn't god?If god doesn't need a creator, why does the Universe ?-Of course not.

I don't know who or what God is. But He gave us brains and intelligence so we can figure out what caused the Big Bang ourselves. 

• MARK

I would like to know what caused the 'Big Bang'. However, talking to myself (which is all prayer amounts to) will never provide the answer.

• cosmo

Deistic gods do not answer prayers.

In what way would I benefit from knowing what caused the big bang? Apart from being able to pull out the answer on a trivia night, what use would it be? Surely knowing next week's lottery numbers would be of more use? Then the question would not be "would i pray", but "how hard do i need to pray"?

The "Author Sam Harris" must have been sniffing something. Why would he drag God down to the level of mathematics and consciousness? If God created with such things, then how could He be "synonymous with" them?

Nope.....................................