Are paranormal/spiritual beliefs or thoughts like that actually nothing but total dreck which i should avoid and be staying away from that?

Should i stay away from paranormal beliefs or thoughts of it especially if this involve ghosts and the afterlife?

Should i not accept these beliefs if they were included as ideas?

Are little children even more vulnerable to that?!

Should i not engage in that?

Do you think this will ruin my life?!!

• Megumi

Yes, that is correct. There is no evidence that convinces scientists that such stuff actually exists. Ghosts and afterlives are just crude fiction. Children have vivid imaginations and usually have imaginary friends. A man I know told me that his favorite imaginary friend when he was a child was Alexandros an ancient Greek warrior who was 9'-0" tall and weighed 843,75 lbs. of solid muscle. 

• Mr. P

It is easier to believe what you have personally experienced. As I child I could tell you that sometimes when it rains, a large electrostatic charge builds up to a point that it can spark from the cloud to the ground with up to one billion volts and 33,000 amps causing a huge flash and loud bang that can be heard 10 miles away.

- I wouldn't believe that unless I saw it myself. In school we are taught that for a current to flow the circuit needs to be closed.

Same with ghosts and spirits. Seems unlikely unless you see it. But once you do, life seems a little less secure. 

• Gary K

I wouldn't encourage you to develop paranormal beliefs. Belief is accepting something is true with verification; while it maybe ok for mundane things, you should be seeking robust evidence for extraordinary claims like the paranormal before believing.  And if you can find sufficiently robust evidence, eg; there is a scientific consensus that something is true or exists, belief is no longer required anyway. The most rational position is to suspend belief until such evidence emerges. Stay skeptical. 

You should always use reason and common sense. Don't believe something just because someone told you to or because you read it on a website. Do you own research. Ask questions. Consider opinions of both believers and skeptics. Then make up your own mind. 

• Tom

The best approach is to accept that there are REAL phenomena people TAKE for being "Paranormal"---AND to pursue THAT approach.   Since we do not understand EVERYTHING yet, we are BOUND, from time to time, to encounter NATURAL phenomena either we personally do not know about or still has not got into our Science books.----Superstitious folks will immediately jump on the "Its a Ghost" bandwagon, or other such rot. but they should not be ignored.  But rather find out just what they DID observe (E.G.  a green light, a moving cloud of mist) and apply SCIENTIFIC analysis to it.---Science advances by the study of things we do not know about yet.   Remember there is NO Paranormal, only the NORMAL we do not know about yet.----One would be a "Piss poor" Scientist is he ignored real unexplained phenomena simply because some superstitious witness claimed it was a "Spirit" or "Ghost".  First of all we know Such things do NOT exist, so whatever was really seen was NOT some "Paranormal Myth"-----One must keep an open mind so as not to miss being able to solve a REAL mystery.----Just because someone makes an absolutely wrong guess as to what some phenomena was, does not mean the phenomena that inspired it does not exist.

There is NO Paranormal only the NORMAL we do not know about yet.   Paranormal can be Defined, as that REAL phenomena our Science does not yet UNDERSTAND--AND has traditionally been associated with superstitious myths.   ---I.E. Why is "Dark matter , not considered "paranormal"?  as we still do not understand it---It simply does not have a millennium  old superstition attached to it.   While those "Moving Green lights" have been thought to be "Spirits of the dead" for thousands of years.---This does not mean the lights do not exist---only the "Spirits of the dead" part.----Scientifically they appear some still unexplained electric phenomena.

By no means be a SUCKER to believe in "Ghosts and Spirits", but still be open that unexplained phenomena DOES EXIST---it HAS to.  our knowledge is not complete.  Just ignore what the superstitious people SAY it is and approach it Scientifically at face value.

Satyrette Of Liberty@  You mean to say DO NOT investigate what someone  CLAIMED to think was a "Ghost" or something?    Why not try to find out what they REALLY saw?---No Scientist or detective would ignore an event simply because the witness was superstitious about it.  Have you NO Curiosity for the truth?

• Dr. NG

It's only dreck if you believe in and encourage others to accept it. As fiction, it is a great storyline for books movies, and TV. (when done well) If you find it upsetting stay away from it.

• Zirp

That's a very generalising question. My personal experience says that some "paranormal" things do exist.

However, I suspect that people who think they are communicating with the dead are actually "communicating" with something else.

I wouldn't trust people who pretend they can just switch on telepathy or clairvoyance, especially not if they ask money for it.

Stay away from new-age crap like reincarnation too

At the end of the day, my rule is always that if there's no explicit proof against it you can believe what you want, as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process and you make sure to separate your unproven beliefs from proven facts.

• JJ

I was behind Walmart the other day and I was sure i saw someone walk in a door... but then realized the "door" was just a black square painted on the wall! You can choose not to believe in the paranormal, but I seen it with my own eyes.

• You should stay away from anything that there is not good evidence for, and the paranormal and the afterlife are one of those things.