How do deductibles work?

Made a claim about a wreck. I have a $500 deductible. Does that payment just get added on next time I get billed, or do I pay that separately when the car gets fixed?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Babe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It depends on how the wreck happened.  If you were not at fault you may not have to worry about the deductible.  Check with your insurance company. 

If you were at fault you pay the $500 out of pocket to the collision repair before you get your car back. Your insurance picks up the rest of the cost.

You should have been given a written quote when you dropped off the vehicle at the collision repair shop.  Usually down at the bottom line it will show your deductible. 

Make sure the repair shop uses OEM parts and not knock-offs.  

• 2 months ago

I assume you are talking about car insurance.

You have to pay the first $500 directly to the repair shop.

For example if your repair ends up costing $2,000 you will pay the shop $500 when you pick up the car, and they'll send a bill to your insurance company for the remaining $1500.

If your car is in the shop with a claim against someone else's insurance then you shouldn't be charged a deductible.

If you are filing a claim against your own insurance for the actions of someone else then you still pay the deductible. For example if someone hit you but they didn't have insurance so you file against your own uninsured motorist policy.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You pay the first $500 directly to the person fixing your car

• 2 months ago

You pay it when the car gets fixed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

When you arrange for repairs, usually you pay the first $500 to the garage and the insurance company will pay the rest directly to the garage.  If the insurance company thinks your garage is overcharging, they may demand that you pay the garage yourself, and the insurance company will then reimburse you for the amount the insurance company thinks the repairs should cost, minus $500.

• 2 months ago

You pay the first $500 of the cost out of your pocket.

• 2 months ago

You pay $500 toward the bill before the insurer pays anything. Work out details of payment with your insurance agent.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That means if the bill is up to $500 you have to pay it yourself anyway even if you have insurance. So if the bill is $1500, you pay $500 and the insurance company pays $1000. In an ideal circumstance "ideal" if you have a $500 deducible and the cost is $75,000, you pay $500. Of course what happens far more often is the bill is $479 and you pay $479 despite already having paid $25,000 over the passed 3 years of having insurance.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You pay whoever fixes the car. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.