Max asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Why Are Bears So Stupid?

Apparently bears only attack humans when they feel like their cubs are threatened by the humans right?

But it seems more like bears will attack humans if cubs are merely in the vicinity (more than 50 meters away) and not having any engagement with the humans at all. Can't it see that the humans are not bothering the cubs in any way? If it sees the humans charging at the cubs, then I can understand. But why are bears so stupid that they attack humans just for existing?

It's almost like the bear goes '' Gasp! How dare you exist when my cubs also exist! "

Kind of a dumb question.

A bear views a human as a threat. It doesn't know what the human's intentions are nor is it going to give the human an opportunity to "charge its cubs" If a human is in the bear's territory, then the bear will respond appropriately. This is an animal. It's not going to know the difference between a dangerous hunter and the bird water taking a stroll through the woods. To a bear, a human is a human.

Are humans really that different in this regard? If a group of people are camping and a bear enters the vicinity, most people are going to become alarmed or even panic even if the bear means no harm.

As someone who has grown up with bears always nearby, I think this question shows a lot of navity:

Black bears will rarely attack a human, and even when a mother defends her cubs, its more defensive posturing than it is an offensive attack! Bears are intelligent animals, and they will generally avoid human interaction whenever possible, their generic  response is to revert back from confrontation.

A black bear will defend her cubs, buts its usually done in a defensive mode! What I mean is the first thing she will do is signal for the cub(s) to go up a tree for safety, and she in suit will follow. Females will posture, meaning they will roar, stand on their back paws to make themselves larger than they are, and will also make fake charges. Its only as a last resort, that a bear will resort to physical strikes with their paws and or puncture wound bites, neither are fatal blows.

Just 2 weeks ago I encountered a mother w/cubs, and she never attacked, she had her cubs up the tree, and she proceeded to swing her paws on the tree as a warning that I was getting too close. I heeded the message, and then she peacefully backed down and went on her merry way.

Bears mean zero harm.

• MARK

Are you an ethologist or perhaps a behavioural ecologist? If a bear attacks how do you know the reason for attacking?

Bears are not stupid unlike many humans. No non-human animal attacks for no reason. A man walking down a street may go up to another man and hit him for no reason. Non-human animals do not do that. If a bear attacks it will have a reason even if you are too dumb to work out its reason.

Bears are not stupid. They are about as smart as a dog or cat and much smarter than a cow. Male bears will kill bear cubs if they have a chance. A mother bear will risk her life to defend her cubs. Even the larger male bears will back off if they see a female bear. Mother bears do not always attack humans. Even if humans are nearby, as long as she thinks they are not in danger, they will simply pass by with their cubs. Most attacks happen when a bear is surprised, and she has no time to evaluate the situation. Playing dead in such a situation will calm her down and she will just retreat with her cubs. 

"But it seems more like bears will attack humans if cubs are merely in the vicinity"

Ah, the classic scientific phrase "seems like".

I dunno - seems like e = mc^2.

Seems like that there sun goes around the earth, don't it, Bob?

I reckon that malaria is caused by stink!

I don't suppose you might have any actual EVIDENCE for this supposed behavior lying around?

Bears can attack for many reasons, not just to protect their cubs. I've linked to a wiki article about bear attacks if you want to take a look, but it's a lot more complex than that.

Some other potential reasons to attack include hunger, territorialism, or being surprised or backed into a corner.