Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

How do I show sympathy towards an employee at work whose husband has been arrested on an unthinkable sex crime and lived a double life?

This couple works where I do. They are husband and wife of over 20 years. They have a blended family. Both seemed very normal and very decent people. Well a week ago the husband was arrested on trying to solicit sex from an under-aged girl. He is 60 and the person he thought he was hooking up with was a 14 year old girl. The 14 year old turned out to be an undercover agent and this colleague of mine was arrested. I read the police report and the colleague has confessed to paying for sex a couple of times a month. They let him out on bail under house arrest (no idea why when he is such a deviant person). 

We were in shock at work. The wife has not been in to work since but I hear she is coming back in a day or two. I am sure the boss will not allow this man back to work but his wife will return and how do I treat her? Do I show sympathy, do I speak about it, or do I only bring it up if she does and otherwise just act as though everything is normal? I don't want to make it worse for her as she is the victim of this monster. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Welcome back your colleague and focus on her wellbeing.  Ask how she is doing and allow her to guide the conversation.  Ensure not to cross a personal boundary and give your colleague space as needed.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't mention it at all and treat her exactly the same as you did before.

• G R
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Its none of your business.  You do not have to do anything nor should you.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

if you dont know what to say just dont say anything

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.