Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

How do I show sympathy towards an employee at work whose husband has been arrested on an unthinkable sex crime and lived a double life?

This couple works where I do. They are husband and wife of over 20 years. They have a blended family. Both seemed very normal and very decent people. Well a week ago the husband was arrested on trying to solicit sex from an under-aged girl. He is 60 and the person he thought he was hooking up with was a 14 year old girl. The 14 year old turned out to be an undercover agent and this colleague of mine was arrested. I read the police report and the colleague has confessed to paying for sex a couple of times a month. They let him out on bail under house arrest (no idea why when he is such a deviant person). 

We were in shock at work. The wife has not been in to work since but I hear she is coming back in a day or two. I am sure the boss will not allow this man back to work but his wife will return and how do I treat her? Do I show sympathy, do I speak about it, or do I only bring it up if she does and otherwise just act as though everything is normal? I don't want to make it worse for her as she is the victim of this monster. 

Welcome back your colleague and focus on her wellbeing.  Ask how she is doing and allow her to guide the conversation.  Ensure not to cross a personal boundary and give your colleague space as needed.

• Cogito

Don't mention it at all and treat her exactly the same as you did before.

• G R

Its none of your business.  You do not have to do anything nor should you.

if you dont know what to say just dont say anything