Jack
Jack asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Are grocery stores obligated to stock certain items?

I live in Queens NY, there is a store by me called Food Bazzar which has a few locations in Queens. They are always carrying new items but some of the new things they put out are such bad ideas I wonder if they get obliged to put them out. For example Caffine Water and Chicken Stir Fry with an overly complicated cooking process were things I don't think the cooking and practical minded people of my area would buy. Still at the same time they carry diet meals which are what I prefer compared to the rest of the area being that I hate cooking. What are your thoughts?

It all comes down to what the manager/franchisee/owner/president/cooperate either-or or any combination of want to do. There are often pressures and contracts from suppliers where it may be written in they get 3 per year, 5x7 endcaps of whatever they want to push as new items. Maybe in a small place someone somewhere for some reason just thought that would sell. Maybe corporate, Smith Foods did a focus group that said overly complicated cooking is hip now.

There's various reasons new products come and go up to and including someone somewhere has no idea what they're doing.

I dont think they are obligated but might like offering new things which if dont sell well will be discontinued, why sell something no one will buy?

• They probably got them really, really cheap. I don’t believe grocery stores have to carry item A (junk) in order to be able to buy/sell item B (quality item). 

• Walt

No if its sold out there is nothing they can do