Is it possible for an actor to never become famous?

And please no rude answers. I'm just curious to learn more about the business because many people I know keep equating acting to fame.For example they would say things like "I can't wait to become a famous actress" or "I just want to be a famous actor." They keep assuming that becoming a successful actor/actress means being famous but they don't seem to understand that not all successful actors are household names and only a "select" few achieve megastar status. 

Most people only know about famous actors so they assume (incorrectly) that all actors are famous.  

The fact is, most actors never become famous.  In fact, seeking fame is a very bad reason for attempting a professional acting career.  And fame is temporary - actors who are famous today will be “has beens” in five years.

Actors, like many other people, need to define success for themselves.  For some just being able to support themselves acting is success.  Others pursuing a career that is in balance with their home life and other relationships is successful.  For some being involved in special projects that have an impact on people or their community is success.

So it’s possible to be a successful regional theater actor.  It’s possible to be a successful web series actor.  It’s possible to be a successful TV co-star.  It’s possible to be a successful voice actor.  And it’s possible to be any combination of the above.

• John P

You need to look at it the other way round. Of the thousands of people who (sometimes struggle to) make a living at acting, how many of them are famous? And the answer is - not many.

• Cogito

Almost ALL actors never become famous.

It's not only possible - it's almost inevitable.

Absolutely!  Look at some of the popular movies, shows, and commercials over the past decade and you'll see a lot of the same actors.  As a theatre educator, I tell my students that being a working actor is more important than being famous.  Being famous may be temporary and may not pay the bills, but working on a regular basis but not becoming famous earns an actor a living.

The key is to reside within reach of the acting community, staying in close relation concerning the various events that take place.

Remember, the above can be difficult since practically all of the events occur during the day.

Should you have a typical job not associated with acting, where will you find the time?

Succeeding at becoming an actor or actress without any circle of friends is practically impossible.

A suggestion: Try your hand at writing a screenplay, the latter is an easy method to become noticed without having to look like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie.

Above all, you need to be in close communication and present for any scrap that may fall on a perpetually basis.

Backstage . Com

Google . Com

Here. Learn about the business. You keep coming back here to ask questions about the craft and the biz, including things no person with half a brain wouldn't know and things I'm SURE you know, you listen to teachers and acting students of some junior high classes or something similar, instead of really going out there and STUDYING. Go online and start reading the thousands of articles on the subject. Take online seminars. Apply to a real acting school. Network with professional actors.

You coming back here for every tiniest ridiculous questions that pops up in your brain doesn't even come close to learning about the business, which is what YOU claim you wanna do. This is just the basics. Besides, you choose not to believe half of the answers anyway, so why do you keep doing that?

If you think I'm being rude that's your problem. I think you're being rude by expecting others to just hand you all the answers. And you can go and report my answer if you want, that won't matter. Because guess what. I'm not telling you anything that's not true or that you don't already know. If you're looking for nice over truth, acting is the wrong career choice for you. You don't have a skin thick enough for it.

Now go and report instead of actually studying the business for real and continue wasting your time thinking you're any less delusional than those "actors".

• martin

Acting is one of the fine arts, in which a career usually is all or nothing, or at least nothing much except a short gig once in a while.  Other types of work are more stable and consistent.

• Stacie

Voice actors. They are very rarely ever house hold names. 

Yes there are some, but out of the millions of cartoons and animated movies and series out there... very few become "famous" outside of the industry itself. 

Most actors never become famous, if we define that to mean that a large part of a population knows the actor's name and/or face.

There's even a term for that: Character actor.