Is there anyway I can afford my own house making about $1800 a month?

I still live with my parents which they love me but I don't think I want to live with them forever or mooch off them. I kinda want to get my own place some day. Know I am saving up most of the money I make and I have $35k saved up which of course is not enough for a house. But I heard mortgages have high interest rates. Im not in a huge hurry yet but I would like to be out of the house by the time im 30 and im know 24.  What can I do to get my own house? I don't really want to live on rent. 

Rates are in the 2's right now which is GREAT.  But I doubt you will be able to get a mortgage with your income that low.

Actually, interest rates are low at this time.

Go on Zillow.com and search for a modest house in your chosen location. You will find a mortgage calculator on the site, where you can fill in some numbers to determine your approx monthly mortgage to give you a general idea of monthly mortgage cost. Depending on what type of loan you apply for  you will be required to make a down-payment of between 5% & 20% , plus about $3,000.00 in closing costs, not including appraisal fees and inspection costs.

Educate yourself about what is entailed in purchasing a home so you can make the right decisions for YOU. 

That would depend on what houses for sale cost where you are. As there is a very large price range depending on location, without knowing where you are and what the average price for a house there is, no one can even guess.

I  would have to say no.........................

It's enough for a house in some places.  You might have to live in one of those places.

• Eva

You don't make enough to buy a house and pay all the associated expenses. Mortgage rates are actually very low right now, so you "heard" wrong.  You need to find a much better job.

so many unanswed questions here.

How much is the total cost of the house???

Mortgage rates are at all time lows. you can get a 30 year fix at 2.875%

with that kind of a down payment if your house costs more than $110,000 i doubt you would be approved for the loan

• Dze

depends on how much you pay for the house lol ... i would suggest thinking about getting a place maybe further out in the sticks so to speak, probably for alot less than in a more urban area .. you may have to drive more but figure in whats plausible .. to me an hour or so one way drive to a job is about the limit, preferrable less, but look around ..

Yes.   Save $1800/month for the next six years and you should be able to pay cash for a  $150k house.

By the way, if you only make $1800/month, you will find it very difficult to live on your own and maintain a home even if you have no mortgage payment.

Since you have a free place to live, why not invest that 35k in getting yourself an education or learning a skilled trade so that you can triple your income?    Being a homeowner with no skills and a minimum wage job for the next 40 years is a bad plan. 

• Scott

Probably not. But it depends on how much the house costs (including taxes and insurance) and what your other monthly expenses will be.