Is there anyway I can afford my own house making about $1800 a month?

I still live with my parents which they love me but I don't think I want to live with them forever or mooch off them. I kinda want to get my own place some day. Know I am saving up most of the money I make and I have $35k saved up which of course is not enough for a house. But I heard mortgages have high interest rates. Im not in a huge hurry yet but I would like to be out of the house by the time im 30 and im know 24.  What can I do to get my own house? I don't really want to live on rent. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Rates are in the 2's right now which is GREAT.  But I doubt you will be able to get a mortgage with your income that low.

• 2 months ago

Actually, interest rates are low at this time.

Go on Zillow.com and search for a modest house in your chosen location. You will find a mortgage calculator on the site, where you can fill in some numbers to determine your approx monthly mortgage to give you a general idea of monthly mortgage cost. Depending on what type of loan you apply for  you will be required to make a down-payment of between 5% & 20% , plus about $3,000.00 in closing costs, not including appraisal fees and inspection costs.

Educate yourself about what is entailed in purchasing a home so you can make the right decisions for YOU. 

• 2 months ago

That would depend on what houses for sale cost where you are. As there is a very large price range depending on location, without knowing where you are and what the average price for a house there is, no one can even guess.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I  would have to say no.........................

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It's enough for a house in some places.  You might have to live in one of those places.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't make enough to buy a house and pay all the associated expenses. Mortgage rates are actually very low right now, so you "heard" wrong.  You need to find a much better job.

• 2 months ago

so many unanswed questions here.

How much is the total cost of the house???

Mortgage rates are at all time lows. you can get a 30 year fix at 2.875%

with that kind of a down payment if your house costs more than $110,000 i doubt you would be approved for the loan

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

depends on how much you pay for the house lol ... i would suggest thinking about getting a place maybe further out in the sticks so to speak, probably for alot less than in a more urban area .. you may have to drive more but figure in whats plausible .. to me an hour or so one way drive to a job is about the limit, preferrable less, but look around ..

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes.   Save $1800/month for the next six years and you should be able to pay cash for a  $150k house.

By the way, if you only make $1800/month, you will find it very difficult to live on your own and maintain a home even if you have no mortgage payment.

Since you have a free place to live, why not invest that 35k in getting yourself an education or learning a skilled trade so that you can triple your income?    Being a homeowner with no skills and a minimum wage job for the next 40 years is a bad plan. 

• Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Probably not. But it depends on how much the house costs (including taxes and insurance) and what your other monthly expenses will be. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.