Merry
Merry asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Why do people have kids then complain about caring for them?

Seriously... I live in Melbourne Australia - we have gone into stage 4 lockdown. 

Schools are closed - Kindergarten and day care is closed to everyone but vulnerable families and permitted workers. 

I understand that trying to work from home with young kids is a nightmare (I have kids myself) but all I have heard is parents complain about how they will manage.

In particular how hard it is for working mothers (why just mother's? There are many awesome dads working from home now!) 

🔸Why do people have kids if they aren't prepared to care for them? 

🔸Will parents embrace lockdown & see it as valuable time with their child? 

Sadly, for some fools, children are a side effect of sex.

• edward

My wife is a stay at home mother most of the time (she works a couple days here and there) but our kid isn’t in school yet.  I know some parents like having time away from the kids and have time for themselves.  Which is why a lot of the older girls at work like having days off during the week when the kids are at school they get the day off to relax...when the kids are at home it’s just not happening.  You are with your kids 24/7 and you look forward to coming to work even where i work (hospital) where the chances of coming into contact with a Covid suspect is much higher...they look forward to work to escape the kids

I can't speak to what is happening in Australia right now, because the situation here in the US is even worse than what you are going through. As a nation, we have had 3 times as many deaths from the virus as any other country. Most of the deaths, tragically, were totally preventable and could have been avoided entirely if we hadn't totally botched our response to the pandemic. We're paying a huge price for opening states and the economy too soon, and we will feel the effects of the lack of leadership at the top for decades to come.

I find myself wondering often now just how much longer we are going to be able to go on before the virus finally kills someone I know or care about. I've been lucky so far- but the realist in me tells me that this won't last much longer.

As for the reactions you're seeing in the people around you, they're happening because people are SCARED. They don't know what will happen, any more than you do, and they resent having their lives turned upside down in a heartbeat. That's natural, and very human. Judging peoples' attitudes towards childcare based entirely on their reactions to this one unprecedented situation is wrong. If the pandemic were not happening, there wouldn't be any issue, and you know it.

Because people are allowed to blow off steam.  This is a totally different world, it's okay to feel overwhelmed and need to vent.  Even without the COVID factor, it's totally okay to feel overwhelmed and need to vent.

Dads vent, too.  People talk about how hard this is for parents, working or not, not just mothers. 

Not everyone has the option to work from home.  Many are simply completely out of a job, and may not get it back. A lot of jobs that can be done from home are far from easy or even doable with kids, particularly small kids. With older kids, it's often nearly or even totally impossible to work while overseeing their school work.  If you really can't figure out how being a parent may result in venting once in awhile, much less how parenting during COVID results in it, then you completely lack any basic common sense.

By the way, you're not as perfect as you think to think.  "Mothers" is plural, "mother's" is possessive.

• helene

Some of us are better than others at having our daily routine not just disrupted, but blown to bits.

I suppose you want to know why I got married if I'm going to weep about my husband being home 24 hours a day, with no end date in sight? That's not normal. Not even for retired people.

Well, I'm glad you're perfect, at least.

Same reason people learn to drive and then complain about that

• LizB

Obviously none of your kids are babies or toddlers or special needs, because if they were you wouldn't have to ask this question.

Also NO PARENT ALIVE when they chose to have a child planned on there being a global pandemic, where they'd suddenly be expected to work from home full-time, parent full-time, AND homeschool full-time. There literally are not enough hours in the day. If you're not WFH and/or your kids are old enough to do online learning without much supervision, then you're lucky and should try a little harder to empathize with parents who aren't as fortunate as you are.

• Adam

My mum said she loved every minute of it but other mums were just glad that they’d be starting school soon.