What is this very old looking device in my cellar?

Would any plumbers or HVAC people out there be able to tell me what this is? Its in my Cellar that used to be a drive under the house garage. It looks related to water, perhaps a well pump? Would it be ok to remove this device? Or is it still hooked up to water or something? Also there is a random 2" pvc sticking out of the wall in front of it. It does not connect to my waste system. Perhaps its connected to my waste system under ground? thanks!

Havent turned the faucet because I thought I would wait until someone can tell me what it is, also it goes right into the ground to the right of that union connection

Looks exactly like my own shallow-well pump, having a gray plastic cover on the pressure switch to turn it on and off as necessary.  Mine was redone in the 1990s with copper pipes and a "pressure tank" that holds a charge under pressure between times there is a demand for water in the house, reducing pump starts for small uses like a single toilet flush or washing hands for 20 seconds.

sump pump.......................

sump pump to catch & expell H20 collecting in the basement

USAFisnumber1 is correct. It is an above ground shallow well pump. It was probably "rigged" as a sump pump that was manually turned on when a low area filled with water.

There is a metal label on the motor which should narrow it down. It also is not wired to anything so it is just sitting there. Rotting. As it is above ground it is not a sump pump. It is not WORTH THE TYPING I AM DOING TO DESCRIBE IT.  The tap is in the wrong place to do anything worthwhile, as I can see whatever came out was full of calcium through the outlet. Basically scrap metal chances are good it is hooped. Maybe there was a well in the old days...but now that is gone so turf it and store your beer there. unless the area smells like Pee. then you know where they went and that stink ain't going away.

• Mr. P

It may be a pump in case your cellar gets flooded. You'll find out in rainy season.

• elhigh

That appears to be a pump; perhaps your house was on well water in the past.  That appears to be disconnected from both power and the plumbing; you may be able to just remove it.

It is a water pump.   The gauge is so you can set water pressure.   The gray box has the switches that turn it on and off.  It does not look like it is wired up,  you might check the wires and see if they are actually connected to power.   Most modern applications have some sort of 50-100 gallon water tank that gets pressurized so if the power goes out you still have some water to flush a toilet or two until the power comes back on.    This looks like it does not have a water tank attached so probably was used just to water the yard or something.   It could be set up to work as a sump pump except I do not see how a float could be attached to turn it on and off,  maybe you do it manually if the basement area floods.   

• BJJ

Looks like a water pump to me

What happens when you turn the faucet on?