Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 2 months ago

First Class Package Sent From U.S to Canada- When Will It Arrive?

I sent the package on July 18th through USPS first class international. They didn’t exactly give me a timeframe on when it will arrive (I’m assuming this is because of the current COVID19 situation).

I’ve been tracking it through CanadaPost and USPS, but neither sites have updated since July 23rd. The last update says:

July 23

11:35 pm

International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada

Usmiaa, USA

I’ve sent packages to Canada previously and don’t often have a problem with delivery and updates usually seem to be on-time.

Any idea on a current time frame? At what point do I become suspicious on if the package has been lost?

Oops, forgot some additional info.

Sent from KY to Alberta, CA.

For reference, it’s a small box of assorted candies from the U.S. Definitely nothing concerning or worth a lot.

Thanks for the help!

It's not predictable right now particularly since it has to go through customs. I had two packages delivered from Texas to Denver, Colorado. One took about a week and the other a little over three weeks. Tracking was not updated on either and those didn't have a customs delay involved.

It is NORMAL for a letter from US to Canada to take 6-8 BUSINESS days. Parcels a little longer.

An extra week or two is not unusual and expected at this time of Covid issues.

So far you have tracked to a departure place from the US going to an International Mail office in Canada. In your case either Toronto(Mississauga) or Vancouver.

The tracking number will not show up on Canada Post until Canada Customs has done what it does.

The Post Office does not loose many parcels.

The world of tracking never was 100 % perfect and your site has not  updated. Just the way it is. Personal mail is low priority in the world of Covid. Customs staff have more important things to look at during the pandemic.

All you know is that your item was sorted and loaded for transport towards Canada.

When it gets unloaded inspected and then scanned again is a guess.

Three to five days after Customs has done its thing should get your parcel to your friend.

The Post Offices of Canada and the US have been exchanging mail for over 100 years. They have a system that works for them. You do not have to understand it.

Add extra time if your parcel is from or to a small town.

Mail still travels by air and there are less flights for the mail.

I find that packages going from the US to Canada usually take at least a week, often a couple of weeks, rarely longer. No one, at any time, can accurately predict how long. The really unpredictable part is how long they spend in customs and that might be influenced by how big the parcel is and what it contains. The glass beads that I sometimes order, for instance, are pretty innocuous in every way and they arrive pretty fast. Garden seeds, however, might get inspected to be sure they're allowed into Canada, and they tend to take longer. A parcel of stuff that isn't worth enough to be dutiable will probably go through faster than one they have to put duty on.

No one knows. International packages can clear customs in a day, a week, a month or it may take even longer.

If you have a tracking number, then that is the ONLY way to know what progress it is making.

It's probably sitting, waiting for customs clearance. There's been a lot more attention given to items crossing the border lately which means packages have slowed down. Priority is being given to essential items and business needs so your package may take a while to clear through.

Keep in mind that today is the Civic Holiday in much of Canada and the postal service probably isn't running in most places.

After a couple of weeks, I would call and ask if they can locate your package. Be prepared to wait on hold for a while as all delivery services are backlogged.