How can I handle my apartment situation and rent?

So a few months ago they started remodeling my apartment building and just recently on the first Sunday of July and just the last Sunday of July and today August 2nd I have seen a roach on all of these days. The first time I saw one I told the office manager and nothing was really done, the second time I had told her that I can't pay 700 to deal with roaches and she basically said it's not her fault, it's basically because of them pulling up stuff and they're remodeling and there's basically nothing that can be done except have the Exterminator come and spray so I said ok. So last Sunday when I saw one again I only saw it because my cat had saw it. So my cat noticed one earlier because he was pawing at this box in the bedroom. I've never had this issue before but it's extremely overwhelming stressful and annoying. I haven't paid rent yet for August and I'm trying my best to save money and possibly look for another place as soon as possible but I wanted to know what are my options because I feel that's not right to pay that much rent if nothing is really being done about the situation. I was going to call a few lawyers and try to contact maybe the Better Business Bureau or the Board of Health and see what can be done. So I just really need advice on how I can't handle this situation because I don't want to get evicted and I'll probably move up to Columbus with my brother when I get the chance but I need to get out of this situation as soon as I can. 

It is illegal to withhild rent over pest control issues without a court order in most states.  You are still legally required to pay even if they do not do anything right away.  There are legally required steps in every state that tenants have to follow when landlords fail to address pest control problems. NONE of those steps involve the BBB or the health deparetment.  Taking legal action is the LAST step not the 1st. 

• R P

Pay your rent since you don't want to be evicted.

The landlord will continue to spray for roaches as long as you keep reporting the problem.

• n2mama

You pay your August rent today. You have no legal grounds to withhold rent, and not paying rent leaves you subject to late fees and eviction proceedings. You saw a roach on three separate occasions. This is not an infestation. Did you notify your landlord in writing of the issue? If not, that’s your fault. The landlord said she would have the exterminator come and spray, so she is doing her legally obligated part by addressing the issue. 

If you want to leave, you can do so, it’s just the question of how much it will cost you. I don’t know if you have a fixed term lease or are month to month. If you’re month to month, you give your notice when you pay your rent today, and since today is August 3, that means you will be moved out by September 30 (and still responsible for paying rent for September). If you have a fixed term lease then you read it to see what it says about early termination. You may need to pay a lease break fee, often several months worth of rent to break your lease. You may have to continue to pay rent until your landlord re-rents the apartment. It just depends on what your lease says.

But what you do is pay your rent today.

1. Your option is to not pay rent and get evicted destroying your ability to find a decent apartment anywhere else.  

2. Pay rent through your lease term, give proper notice and vacate the property in accordance with your lease and state law.

3. Sue your landlord to have a judge void your lease.  This may be difficult because the while the law does require the landlord to make an effort to rid the infestation, it doesn't require them to be successful.  Thus seeking to void the lease on this basis probably won't work.

4. Have more patience, secure your food (to not entice or feed any existing bugs), including pet food and garbage.

Good Luck.

You could do this thing called going out and buying roach traps and spray yourself. It isn’t completely up to the landlords to do this, it could actually be something YOU brought into the house as well as how clean you keep it. With only one roach here and there you are lucky  By the way boxes are a big thing for roaches so if you have some in there that can be part of the problem. In some climates they are there all the time no matter what you do and you see way more than one or two. The landlord did their end by hiring an exterminator. With remodeling it will happen. You can NOT withhold the rent and then report them to the BBB at all. Pay the rent and then move out. 

your only option if you don't pay rent is to move out and get a court judgement on your record..

LL said they would exterminate

Nothing really done?  They had the exterminator come.

That IS what landlords do when the remove bugs from a building. 

There is NOTHING else to do.

It's August 2nd - your rent is late.  You are REQUIRED to pay rent.

If you didn't get notice yet, you are also responsible for September rent.

You have seen THREE roaches in over 5 weeks.  That is NOT an infestation.

Calling a lawyer, the BBB or the health dept for 3 roaches in 5 weeks is going to get a lot of silence on the phone and then when they are off the phone they are going to be just like me = how do some people make it through the day.