Is there a law on how old a kid can be to go into a store alone?

I have a customer that sends her daughter into the gas station I work at. She is no more 9years old. The mother was very unhappy when I ask the kid if she was old enough to come into the gas station alone. The mother wasn't even park where she could she her daughter. I know where dont really care about this until the child gets kidnapped.

• John P

Depends on the law where you live, which I guess is the USA.

I am 9 and sometimes my dad takes me to the local corner shop and i walk in by myself, so yes, but just walk them or drive them there, but only if the shop is small

• Edna

Don't butt into your customer's business.

It would be a pretty sad state of affairs if  there was a law that said a 9-year-old kid couldn't go into a gas station without a parent. A 9-year-old kid isn't likely to be kidnapped inside a gas station (I bet you're referring to convenience store, and not to a "gas station"). There's a cashier inside and there are usually other customers inside as well. A 9-year-old is old enough to scream for help, if someone attempted to kidnap him or her inside the store. 

I remember going to the gas station and having my bowl of cereal ready as I didn't have milk.  I must have been hungover or something because when I got into the store, I didn't see any milk in the gas station where it usually is.  Somehow during my struggle to find the milk, I bump into this lady who was on her way out of the store and she drops her receipt.  She seemed to be in a rush to leave as she totally disregarded her dropped item.  I pick it up as i go up to the counter to pay for my hot wheels that they had and gave them the receipt the lady dropped to hopefully get some money back.  Turns out I won the lottery of $17 and decided to buy all the to-go hotdogs that were kept preheated.  As I grab all the hotdogs with what's left of my available hands that are already carrying my bowl of cereal (with no milk) and the basketball that I was dribbling the whole time, I drop all the hot dogs... seeing the mess I made, escaped the gas station as fast as possible and observed in the distance, they took my money, put the hotdogs that fell back onto the preheat oven thingy and ate my dry cereal, that is why I don't go to the gas station alone anymore. >:/

Does this child come into this place of business with a purpose?

I mean does she come for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread and have the money to run an errand?  Or is she just hanging out with no purpose at your place of business?

Let's say Mom is sending her there just so she doesn't have to be bothered with this child.  Let's say this kid is generally ignored at home and has nothing.

Here is a better idea.  Why not call the police and ask them to do a welfare check on this little kid and her mother?  The cops will be VERY GLAD to come and listen to what you have observed and then check up on this little kid....that's their job.

• Lili

There is no such law in the US, though there might be one regarding making a purchase in your locality.

9 is not too young to enter a store. My friends and I were buying candy and so forth from stores at that age.  We walked some distance from our homes to do so.

Our parents were certainly careful to warn us about speaking to strangers and seeking help if someone tried to bother us, but parents were more sanguine about letting children develop some independence then. Stranger abductions are really very uncommon.

No.  And age 9 is fine to go into a store and purchase some items on their own. Stop butting into their business.

In the UK there are laws on how old uo8 have to be to buy things, but not to enter no. Logically the child being inside the shop is safer than then sitting in a car on the garage forecourt no?

• edward

There’s a gas station where i live where there are 30 pumps just before the perimiter of the city.  I used to go inside alone when i was 9, pay for gas and go back to the car.  Nobody bats an eye at it.  I don’t see a problem

Not specifically, instead it is grouped under child neglect.  

That being said, trusting a child to have the independent ability to go to the store alone is not criminal.  You may think of her mother as a bad parent, and you are entitled to your judgement, but just because other parents parent differently than you, doesn't make their method of parenting wrong, and yours right.