Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

is it difficult to obtain a second mortgage loan?

i currently have a mortgage, but now want to relocate to another state. I don't really want to rent an apartment or house when i do relocate. I'm interested in a cheap condo or townhouse under $80,000.  Is it hard trying to get a second home loan for another house. Would be easier if i have a cosigner on second loan, will my credit score have to be really high in the 700s or something? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

You will have to qualify based on having 2 house payments, and yes you need good credit.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not if you have the earning power to cover a second mortgage and of course a cash deposit

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

it totally depends upon  YOUR INCOME. can u afford to pay the first house loan and insurance and taxes and then get another home and pay all of that for the second home? if u have a high salary u can easily afford it. credit score has not much to add if u have low salary

• 6 months ago

That's not what a second mortgage.  A "second mortgage" is when there are two mortgages on the same home.

You can get a loan for another home, but don't cal it a "second mortgage", because they'll think you're looking for something else and waste a lot of time having you do the wrong paperwork.

Also, if you are keeping the home that you have now, keep in mind that the insurance on that home will cost more when you're no longer living there.  (Insurance typically costs more for vacant homes and rental properties than for owner-occupied homes.)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Just like when you bought your first home, your income, credit score, and down payment are the main drivers.  There will be stricter requirements on a 2nd home for income and down payment.  A higher credit score helps but also drives the rate you can get.

PS:  "700s" is not a "really high" credit score.  Low 700s are just good.  High 700s are very good.  800+ are excellent (or 'really high').

• 6 months ago

It's going to be dependent on your income.

Can you afford two loans?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.